The place to discuss filament...
jimc

Re: Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

Post by jimc » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:31 pm

Nothin like spamming the crap out if the board

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:40 pm

Geez, they must be desperate to sell that crap - he's posted in half a dozen places this morning.

Not at all obvious....... :lol:

They truly must have a low opinion of the IQ level around here! Chuckle!
(What the heck, it worked for Ron Popiel, i guess!)

Kulturfolger

Post by Kulturfolger » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:31 pm

After five rolls of PETG, the V3b Hotend looks unhappy, there is plastic passing through the thread. Temperature is set to 250 °C all the time. Anyone having the same issues?

Ingo
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-10 um 17.28.44.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-10-10 um 17.28.44.png (262.83 KiB) Viewed 22887 times
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Yeah, you might want to replace that hotend now. ;)

(If you print a lot of PETG, you might want to consider upgrading to the V4 nozzle.)
Last edited by Jules on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:33 am

yeah its just leaking out past the threads. that is the purpose for the thread tape you see on there. you wont be disappointed with the v4 and it really is the best way to go but you can probably just get away with disassembling that one, doing a good cleaning, inspect for cracks or melted threads in the peek. if all is good then teflon tape the crap out of it and reassemble.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:46 am

yeah I had the leaky hotend on my last cleaning, was really confused how it got there, but boy did it.

in fact, PETg has a tendency to go everywhere you don't want it to. It reminds me of super-fluid helium, climbing the walls of the beaker that holds it.

GettingBy

Post by GettingBy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:11 pm

2. Single most important thing with this filament is the calibration – it needs enough room to lay down the thread without brushing the previous layer. Any brushing at all of the prior layer and you get stringy threads that build up on the nozzle and then can dump in a glob later in your print, leave little zits all over the place, or give the print a rough, matte, almost glittery surface, especially on curved areas. The filament almost likes to “air print” by just a tiny bit. If you are getting a lot of buildup on the nozzle, move the first layer away from the nozzle by adding +0.02 mm increments to the Z-Offset in the G-Code section of S3D, until it quits. You do not smash this filament down to make it stick.
This is not possible in my version (latest) of S3D.

Only increments of 0.2 are possible (not 0.02)

GettingBy

Post by GettingBy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:24 pm

Just started using PETG from eSUN a few days ago.
Having "some" success but I would rate that success at about 75% meaning it's not quite right.
I'm getting some pits, drop outs (holes in infill) and other various quality issues.
Surprisingly, my printer (a Flash Forge Creator X Dual Extruder Clone) seems so far to do best at 210C
If I raise the temp above that it gets stringy. This seems very low compared to others but my printer has clear teflon
filament guides just above the nozzle and they will melt down at around 240 so I don't want to try going above 230C

Very informative thread. Thanks

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:04 am

GettingBy wrote:Just started using PETG from eSUN a few days ago.
Having "some" success but I would rate that success at about 75% meaning it's not quite right.
I'm getting some pits, drop outs (holes in infill) and other various quality issues.
Surprisingly, my printer (a Flash Forge Creator X Dual Extruder Clone) seems so far to do best at 210C
If I raise the temp above that it gets stringy. This seems very low compared to others but my printer has clear teflon
filament guides just above the nozzle and they will melt down at around 240 so I don't want to try going above 230C

Very informative thread. Thanks
:D You're welcome, but please keep in mind that if you aren't using these settings on an M2, and if you are limited to an extruder temp of below 230°C (due to whatever design constraints are inherent in the design of that printer), you might want to stick to printing PLA, which prints best in the 205°C to 210°C range. I'd be concerned that you might not be able to melt PETg fast enough at the lower temp, and you would have extrusion problems (like pits if the extrusion is being interrupted) and the potential for a jammed nozzle.
......." by adding +0.02 mm increments to the Z-Offset in the G-Code section of S3D....."

This is not possible in my version (latest) of S3D.
Only increments of 0.2 are possible (not 0.02)
That might also be a limitation in your version of the S3D software, due to the printer that you are using. (The M2 firmware does recognize increments that small.)

Just make sure to take into account any differences that your printer may have, and make changes to the suggested numbers to compensate for them. I'd hate to see people wreck their nozzle on a machine that has a different setup. ;)

MGuser

Post by MGuser » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:29 pm

I print PETG down to 220C. Just need to keep the volumetric extrusion down below 3 or so.