Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

The place to discuss filament...
Wilded STL

Re: Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

Post by Wilded STL » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:46 pm

I tried printing eSUN PETG using PLA as support filament. Temperture setting PETG-240, PLA-195. Dense support with 0-seperation layers and tried with 1- seperation layer. The PETG bunches up and would not stick to the PLA. Print goes fine until the PETG tries to print on top of the PLA support layer. Am I missing a heat setting or something causeing it not to print?
Thank you

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:58 am

Do you have a Rev.E machine or an earlier model? Are you using Simplify 3D?

There are two sets of FFF files for Dual Extruders that set up all the parameters for you in Simplify3D, but you need to use the set that is correct for your version of the machine. That is the easiest way to change the setup. They are in the M2 Dual Extruder Forum.

Make sure you get the right one:

Rev. E : viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3554

Earlier Models: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2984

There are things you need to do like extend the support out beyond the print zone and zero layers separation at top and bottom, and a lot of other things. Those are the ones that work pretty well for me.

Wilded STL

Post by Wilded STL » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:08 pm

I have a different manufacturer’s printer but I do use Simplify3D. I've been using duel extruders successfully but not PVA as a support material for PETG. I saw a similar post on Simplify3D that said it was possible.
I am using zero separation layers top and bottom. I'll try "extend the support out beyond the print zone". Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you Jules for the quick reply.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:29 pm

If you have a different printer, but still have S3D, you can load the settings from those FFF files to get everything (temps/retractions/etc.) loaded, and there is a separate Support Profile for printing PETG with PLA support. Just jot down those settings and transfer them to your printer setup. (speeds and everything) Then you can delete the M2 profile.

Probably the most critical thing is going to be getting the gap right though, and you are the only one who understands how to work that in whatever machine you are using, so read through the discussion in the Earlier Models thread first, before you just load up the S3D settings from the profiles. Make sure you understand what is going on, because it's really all about the gap in most cases.

:D

Wilded STL

Post by Wilded STL » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Extending the support out beyond the print zone and changing some ooze properties from your profiles is all that was needed for a very successful print. Thank you Jules for all your helpful suggestions.

quaver

Post by quaver » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:35 pm

Printing with Colorfabb XT (purple). Very good printing characteristics but have a difficult time getting it to adhere to the bed when I print parts like the M2 extruder servo mount. The part separates from the bed at about 15-20 mm of build height. I have tried the following bed configuration, all with boro glass ; 1) PET film 2) PET covered with slurry of PVA 2) bare glass 3) bare glass with PVA slurry 4) bare glass with concentrate PVA slurry 5) PVA with Elmers glue stick. I have tried bed temperatures of 60 and 70 C for each of these configurations. I leveled the bed before starting setting the nozzle to bed gap to .015-.018mm, four corners and center. I run first layer at 50% with a 98% layer height, 100% width. First layer looks really nice it just seems like the PETG does not want to stick to anything but itself. Any suggestions?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:54 pm

quaver wrote:Printing with Colorfabb XT (purple). Very good printing characteristics but have a difficult time getting it to adhere to the bed when I print parts like the M2 extruder servo mount. The part separates from the bed at about 15-20 mm of build height. I have tried the following bed configuration, all with boro glass ; 1) PET film 2) PET covered with slurry of PVA 2) bare glass 3) bare glass with PVA slurry 4) bare glass with concentrate PVA slurry 5) PVA with Elmers glue stick. I have tried bed temperatures of 60 and 70 C for each of these configurations. I leveled the bed before starting setting the nozzle to bed gap to .015-.018mm, four corners and center. I run first layer at 50% with a 98% layer height, 100% width. First layer looks really nice it just seems like the PETG does not want to stick to anything but itself. Any suggestions?
Yeah, just get some hairspray. ;)

PETG sticks to a hairspray coated plate just fine. (Aquanet Superhold or Garnier Fructis Extra Hold.) I've never heard of using a PVA slurry to stick PETG down. (PVA never sticks to anything but itself, i can't imagine trying to use it as some kind of glue.)

Clean the plate completely (anti-grease dish soap, rinse, dry, follow with alcohol wipe down) and then try a medium heavy coating of Aquanet. Let it dry completely before printing.

(Oh, and you need to be printing that extruder mount with support, so be sure to turn that on.) :)

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:21 pm

X2. Garnier fructise #5 works for nearly every plastic. Its a waste messing with tapes and slurrys

quaver

Post by quaver » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys; headed to the Rite Aide ;) Corlorfabb website suggests the glue stick and several other sites that address PETG suggest PVA slurry and a bed material. I can now say that it does not stick to the PETG material. The glue stays on the glass, the filament does not stick to the glue. http://learn.colorfabb.com/print-_xt/

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:32 pm

I have never been able to get anything to stick to glue stick....ever