Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

The place to discuss filament...
Jules

Re: Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

Post by Jules » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:41 am

Are you letting it cool completely? (Cause it ain't coming off until that plate is room temperature.)

psd

Post by psd » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:44 am

Jules wrote:Are you letting it cool completely? (Cause it ain't coming off until that plate is room temperature.)
Yes, actually seems worse when I come back after an overnight print and has completely cooled.
It sticks so well that it resolved my bed adhesion problem in one easy solution, jus sometimes, especially for larger surface parts, it sticks too well!
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:15 am

psd wrote:
Jules wrote:Are you letting it cool completely? (Cause it ain't coming off until that plate is room temperature.)
Yes, actually seems worse when I come back after an overnight print and has completely cooled.
It sticks so well that it resolved my bed adhesion problem in one easy solution, jus sometimes, especially for larger surface parts, it sticks too well!
Try one of these:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3826

Kryfin

Post by Kryfin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:42 pm

Hello all,

I just started trying to print PETG. I followed Jules configuration setting and began with not much luck. I have a new M2 and was hoping someone would recognize the issue and lead me down the right path.

This is my first print and as you can see the layers do not want to stick to each other.
PETG first print.jpg
Thanks for your input,

Matt

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:56 pm

Do i see 2 different filament colirs there? Brown and natural/white? It appears that your first layer is not sticking to the bed. Printing on kapton? Youll need some hairspray for petg

psd

Post by psd » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:24 pm

I found that PEI is the best for bed adhesion.
I bought a sheet from cshyde.com 36-10A-3D-12x12 $26.65/ea. with adhesive backing. Solved all my problems, no more glue, hairspray, tape....
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

Kryfin

Post by Kryfin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:55 pm

Thank for the replies.

I am printing on Kapton but what you see is one filament color, grey. The first layer is printed at 247 and next layer is printed at 242, I guess the color change is due to that.

I tried a couple of more prints and it looks like the nozzle is dragging through the layer. The first layer is staying down but other layers eventually drag and collect on the nozzle. Is this a heat problem or do I have my nozzle too close to the bed?

I do intend to get the PEI but I believe strings, dragging and clumps on nozzle are primary concern now.

Matt

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:19 pm

Kryfin wrote:Hello all,

I just started trying to print PETG. I followed Jules configuration setting and began with not much luck. I have a new M2 and was hoping someone would recognize the issue and lead me down the right path.

This is my first print and as you can see the layers do not want to stick to each other.
PETG first print.jpg
Thanks for your input,

Matt
Your Z-gap is too large - use the Z-Adjust app to close the gap just a little bit for your first layer.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3666

Or increase the height of your first layer.

If you used the posted Rev.E dual profiles, you might have to tweak them a bit - they're just a starting point. (For instance: Increasing your extrusion temps slightly will help the filament to bond better if you are printing in a cold basement.) But mostly I think it's just that first layer gap. :)

Kryfin

Post by Kryfin » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:24 pm

Thank you for the comments.

The filament is the same. The first layer is printed at 247 and the others at 242, following Jules configuration. I tried a couple of more times and noticed that the nozzle is getting stringy and it seems to drag across the print causing the print to glob onto the nozzle.

Is this a nozzle setting problem, I have calibrated the bed very nicely and other filaments come out great? Could this be a heating problem?

The first layer of the other prints is sticking to the Kapton very well although I will get some PEI installed.

Matt

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:14 am

Take the first layer temp down (242° for all layers) - it should not be creating that much of a difference in color between the first layer and the second. (What's the bed temp? What kind of PETG are you trying to print?)

When it gets stringy - it's generally too hot. (Causes oozing.)

Additionally, while the gap might be just fine for other filaments, (which are more forgiving of errors in the setting), if you are going to print PETG, you have to be a little more careful with it. And your gap is just a little bit too large.

I can tell by looking at the shape of the threads that you laid down in the first layer. (And if you don't adjust it, you are not going to successfully print PETG.)