Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

The place to discuss filament...
jimc

Re: Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

Post by jimc » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:29 pm

yes keep the nozzle dia set correctly to .35 and increase the width a little if necessary. both of those prints look pretty darn good. to really tune it in good though you need the opaque black. its the only way to really see the actual surface finish. that red looks so trippy.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:01 am

Hopefully the black will be here this week from Intservo since it already shipped...

I kinda like the red though...I must have a thing for red..red PLA, red ABS, red PETG!!

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:04 am

just an fyi, they do make opaque red petg instead of the trans magenta

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:41 am

Ahh I had no idea...It's fine...It looks kinda neat. I think I told you I'm not a fan of clear/natural filaments (yet I bought that roll of ePC :D )...but this is kinda neat for a change...

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:30 pm

Okay I printed the ducks in the black PETG...I'm not sure why I keep printing ducks as a calibration test but I do!

This one is a bit smaller since I couldn't remember how I resized the original for the others!

Checkout the layers...do they need to be squashed more? If so, what settings affect that? Extrusion multiplier??

Thanks!!
Attachments
duck2.JPG
duck1.JPG

weirdaljr

Post by weirdaljr » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:51 am

Jules wrote: Overview:
Nozzle Diameter: 0.35 mm
Extrusion Multiplier: Calibration result - 0.01; (0.81-0.01=0.80) for my printer
Extrusion Width: 0.45 mm Manual
So this must be obvious, but I have to ask. Is your actual nozzle diameter 0.35, or is it 0.4 and your setting it to 0.35?

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:15 pm

The actual inside diameter of the nozzle is 0.35 mm.

treat1

Post by treat1 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:32 pm

I'm new to 3-D printing and just got a new M2 with the M4 Head. I'm wanting to print PETG but am having a problem with the feed stopping.

I tried the profile in this tread with some ESUN yellow transparent and it worked well but when I switch to the ESUN transparent blue PETG (same except for color), the feed stops. I tried slowing the print speed down and it ran for longer but still stopped feeding. The head was NOT jammed per say as I could retract the filament, cut off the end, and then reload without any problem.

The retracted filament had a little "wear mark" in it where it looked like there was a small wheel spinning on it.

I have measure the two filaments and the both seem to be about the same diameter varying between 1.67 to 1.72 mm.

Any suggestion as to what to try would be appreciated. I really like the PETG material in terms of its durability/flexibility.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:50 am

your drive gear tension is too tight. your squishing the filament out of round making it tight as it moves through the filament path.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:12 am

treat1 wrote:I'm new to 3-D printing and just got a new M2 with the M4 Head. I'm wanting to print PETG but am having a problem with the feed stopping.

I tried the profile in this tread with some ESUN yellow transparent and it worked well but when I switch to the ESUN transparent blue PETG (same except for color), the feed stops. I tried slowing the print speed down and it ran for longer but still stopped feeding. The head was NOT jammed per say as I could retract the filament, cut off the end, and then reload without any problem.

The retracted filament had a little "wear mark" in it where it looked like there was a small wheel spinning on it.

I have measure the two filaments and the both seem to be about the same diameter varying between 1.67 to 1.72 mm.

Any suggestion as to what to try would be appreciated. I really like the PETG material in terms of its durability/flexibility.
Yep, Jim's right - reset the Filament Drive Screw tension here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2694