Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

The place to discuss filament...
Jules

Re: Print Settings for PETG: eSUN Solid Black Filament

Post by Jules » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:07 am

Dor1 wrote:Thank you for writing such an detailed guide. It has upgraded my PETG print tremendously.
I just learned from you about the Zebra plate..
1. Will it work for all materials as PETG, PVA, HIPS and Flexible and other exotics ones?
2. What settings need be changed in the FFF file?
4. Do we still need to add glue stick or hair spray to make it stick ?

There's a whole thread on the Zebras here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2482

chanders

Post by chanders » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:37 pm

I registered on this forum just to say thank you to the OP. I have never printed with PETG and after following your guide I got a perfect print the first time around with your settings. Thanks so much.

I know the limitations of PETG is speed. Do you think there is any way to increase print speed by adjusting temp/extrusion rate?

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:50 pm

You could experiment with increasing the speed a little, I tend to keep speeds on the conservative side for improved print quality.

Technosteve

Post by Technosteve » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Will you please attach the profile you are using (Simplify3D hopefully?)

Thanks!
Steve

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 pm

Can't do it...too many variables now between the machines, and I don't want the responsibility for someone not reading the instructions first by picking it up here. ;)

But.....

If you know whether or not you have a Rev.E machine or one of the earlier models, you should be able to import the Single nozzle profiles that I posted for the Dual Extruders and use one of those. I do list one for PETG, left nozzle, which is the one you want if you have a single.

For Rev.E machines:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3554

For Earlier Models:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2984

steve220

Post by steve220 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:14 pm

Thanks so much for this thread. I've been printing with some eSUN PETG based on the FFF file posted here. I'm really digging the results. Good surface finish, great strength, good dimensional accuracy and good flexibility. However, I'm frustrated with one aspect. I can't seem to get rid of the burnt pieces that end up in the print. I would appreciate any advice to minimize this. Here is a 24 hour print done in white which shows what I'm getting.
burntflecks.jpg

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:21 pm

steve220 wrote: I would appreciate any advice to minimize this.
Use black PETG, then paint it white to perk up the somber appearance. [grin]

Obsessive retraction tweaking helps, but nothing prevents PETG hairs from collecting on the nozzle, oxidizing (?), then oozing onto the growing object.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:54 pm

You're not gonna like the answer.....

1. Don't print in white.

The problem is exactly what Ed was saying - it's just about impossible to completely eliminate the little hairs that get picked up when printing PETG....those hairs char on the nozzle and when they get big enough, they fall off into your print.

You can remove the buildup from the nozzle while the machine is printing with the tweezers - takes practice, a steady hand, and a willingness to wreck a print or two.

You can decrease the extrusion multiplier by 0.1. (Use 0.89 instead of 0.90 for example) If you under-extrude a little, it makes less threads. You can also increase your gap by just a hair, about 0.02 mm. Causes less brushing of the previous layer.

But that print looks really good - you don't have many buildup deposits in it. You're not going to get it much better than that on a 24 hour print. :D

martinbogo

Post by martinbogo » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:14 am

What? No .. there is an easy way.

Turn on "ooze shield" if you're using Simplify 3D ... it creates a one-perimeter thick wall all around the object. The oozy blobs stick to that, and not to your print.

Same principle as two-color printing.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:42 am

That's clever.....never thought of using it on a single. :D