PETG failing to feed, any thoughts

The place to discuss filament...
insta

Re: PETG failing to feed, any thoughts

Post by insta » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:15 am

jimc wrote:4mm is quite the retract setting. did you mean .4? my retract is usually less than 1mm.
Sorry, 1mm. 4mm was my nylon retract and stuck in my head for some reason.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:27 am

Yeah, anyone have a way to clean without a torch? Do not have one at the moment!!

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:51 am

jcspball13 wrote:Yeah, anyone have a way to clean without a torch? Do not have one at the moment!!
Found it - here's the original thread:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=732 :D

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:12 am

Awesome! I am a total noob, but am impatient so I tried using weld on the clean the barrel; looks like for now that worked! Ill grab some of the other cleaners tomorrow.

Last question, I know I have seen them but of course cannot find them when I need them: where are the files to reprint the parts for the m2 that are 3d printed?

Figured would be good to have them in hand in worst case.

I think what I am going to do is buy a separate barrel and nozzle for PETG and hope that works!

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:13 am

Oh and thanks for all the help!!!! You guys rock!

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:15 am

insta wrote:
jimc wrote:4mm is quite the retract setting. did you mean .4? my retract is usually less than 1mm.
Sorry, 1mm. 4mm was my nylon retract and stuck in my head for some reason.

haha yeah i thought that sounded odd. was thinking maybe you found some secret. :lol:

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:54 am

jcspball13 wrote:......Last question, I know I have seen them but of course cannot find them when I need them: where are the files to reprint the parts for the m2 that are 3d printed?
Those are on the Github site:

https://github.com/MakerGear/M2/tree/ma ... ed%20Parts :D

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:44 am

I was just fighting with some PETG Feeding. I had the "natural" with a rough surface. The rough surface was jamming on the way through the extruder feed tube, catching on something. Tried tight/loose fast/slow and both the original (but somewhat cracked and hacked) ABS extruder as well as one in PetG - I may not have the holes size right in that one (it looks like the factory is a 2mm hole). I switched to the blue PETG which is smooth, no problem - and quite fancy looking for a printer part.
I'm expecting a replacement extruder, will see if that feeds the rough PetG.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:01 am

honestly i prefer the textured surface stuff. that should not be the reason for your feeding issue. so the jamming is actually happening in the clear 2ft tube between the spool and the filament drive?

CCVirginia

Post by CCVirginia » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:57 pm

jimc wrote:honestly i prefer the textured surface stuff. that should not be the reason for your feeding issue. so the jamming is actually happening in the clear 2ft tube between the spool and the filament drive?
No, I think it happens inside the extruder filament drive when the filament enters the lower hole, after it has been "squeezed" - it would not take much for a "nub" to catch on something if the hole was not VERY smooth. Or, it is friction inside of that lower hole. When I have tried to retract, I have also had it catch on the way up. This is Inland Natural PETG, it seems very rough - don't know if there are multiple manufacturers of PETG. I tried various levels of pressure with the original and the Natural-PETG extruder - all failed at some point, some not immediately. It seems like the filament drive should really be metal so it is smooth and strong.

I had a similar experience with "cleaning filament" which is also very rough, it wrapped around the drive gear. So I have not been cleaning very much :oops: . This stuff looks a lot like the natural PETG.

PS: I did get the recommended 48 Gauge bit for the hole but have not tried it with a "clean" print yet. I noted that the resulting hole is somewhat smaller than the stock drive hole. Perhaps the stock extruder is 2MM? There was a bit of friction using Natural-PETG with the 48 gauge hole and not so much with the 2mm(ish) hole. So, I used my SAE bits and made the next larger hole - this had less friction but I still got the binding (only with natural PETG). However, that drive had been messed with a lot. I should get the replacement MG drive soon and I have a print with Blue PETG that I have not tried as I'm not messing with my cracked and hacked filament drive more than necessary. (The Blue PETG drive is very pretty, I have now printed all the critical spare parts in blue!)

Another thought - PETG sticks to PETG, perhaps a PETG extruder isn't the best for PETG?