PETG failing to feed, any thoughts

The place to discuss filament...
jcspball13

PETG failing to feed, any thoughts

Post by jcspball13 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:40 pm

I have some esun Petg; love it when it works, but this is the second time I have come back to a failed print, because the filament stopped feeding. I adjusted the tension screw this time, seemed like it was working good, but a few hours later I came back to a half done print!

Any ideas? How do I make sure the tension is correct for the petg filament?

insta

Re: PETG failing to feed, any thoughts

Post by insta » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:56 pm

I tension PETG by loading it with the screw completely loose in the tensioner, then tightening it finger-loose. As tight as I can make the screw by gripping the head comfortably with my thumb and index finger is all the tighter I go with it.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Let me try that, thanks for the idea!

So basically PETG needs it to be pretty loose?

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:18 pm

PETG is harder to extrude than PLA - it's a softer filament and tends to deform easily. (So it gets stuck and strips out pretty easily, compared to PLA.) It's a touchy one to set the tension for.

About all you can do from a tension standpoint is feed the filament in and then reverse out the end of the filament several times to check it and see if you are getting the correct "bite marks". (And they tend to be more triangular than square on PETG.)

You might also have a partial clog forming in your nozzle, especially if you are using the same nozzle for PLA and PETG. It's very important to use cleaning filament when you switch from one to the other, because any PLA left on the walls of the nozzle will cook into carbon at the higher PETG temps, and over time that reduces the diameter of the nozzle and the amount of nozzle surface that can contact the PETG to heat it. (And i just dealt with the same issue on mine.....unless you dedicate a separate nozzle for each type of filament, i think you eventually get hit with it. :cry: )

Run a calibration square, and see if your extrusion might be compromised. It should still be creating the same thickness walls that it did when you initially calibrated. If not, and if you don't want to pull off the nozzle to check to see if it needs cleaning, you can try slowing down the print. The more time you give it, the less likely it will be to jam.

But eventually your nozzle will need cleaning. (So i'd do a few tension experiments first, it's easiest to check, then check for the build up.)

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks for the input; is there a tutorial on removing and cleaning the nozzle?

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:26 pm

Which one do you have?

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:33 pm

Sorry! V3b nozzle.

Few more questions while I have your attention, since you rock!

Can the Makergear use Stainless Steel nozzles?

If I use a larger nozzle, will it help to print larger prints faster?

Also, what is difference in the V4?

insta

Post by insta » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:48 pm

jcspball13 wrote:Sorry! V3b nozzle.

Few more questions while I have your attention, since you rock!

Can the Makergear use Stainless Steel nozzles?

If I use a larger nozzle, will it help to print larger prints faster?

Also, what is difference in the V4?
Not really, the nozzles aren't interchangable with the mass of ones on the internet. Brass is better anyway, stick with it.

Yes. You get logarithmic speed increases with larger nozzles.

A lot is different with the V4. You're not there yet, stick with the V3b until you know you need the V4.

With PETG, print hot (245C, max your V3b will do) and slow (40mm/sec) with 0.20mm layers, do not use the cooling fan. You can go faster with the V4 (50mm/sec) but you have to push the temps hotter than the V3b can handle.

Set your multiplier to 0.88, coast to 1mm, retract to 4mm, retract speed to 60mm/sec, vertical hop 0.20mm.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:08 am

jcspball13 wrote:Thanks for the input; is there a tutorial on removing and cleaning the nozzle?
For the V3B, there is a writeup on how to assemble one here, basically, you just do everything it says in reverse when you are dis-assembling:

http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-hotend-assembly

If you are cleaning out the V3B nozzle, i used a torch to clean out my V3B with the instructions here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2074

But using a torch is not for everyone, I know. It's a lot quicker, but a lot scarier. You can also use a solvent depending on what kind of plastic you have been printing....I'm not sure what works for PETG, but someone here is going to know. :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:08 am

4mm is quite the retract setting. did you mean .4? my retract is usually less than 1mm.