Where to get good filament in EU (Germany?)

The place to discuss filament...
Sebastian

Where to get good filament in EU (Germany?)

Post by Sebastian » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:23 am

I decided to get a M2 as my first (own) 3D printer. Thats the good thing :D
The "bad" one: Where to get new filament (PLA for first steps, maybe then I will try PETG), and which vendor is good or are there no big differences between them.. I'm from Germany, so every shipping from outside EU means high taxes. Are there people in here that can gave me a hint where to start without ordering 5 different spools from 5 shops just to find out the 6. one is best?
In most threads on this board, it's all about esun filament. Because it's much better then other or just because it's easy available in US? The only place where I can find it here is on ebay.

Jules

Re: Where to get good filament in EU (Germany?)

Post by Jules » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:11 pm

Lucky duck.....You can probably get ColorFabb very cheaply - everyone i've read about loves ColorFabb, but it's a bit on the expensive side here. I think they are based in the Netherlands.

ESun and Hatchbox are also good choices for inexpensive starter filament, they have some great colors, and they are experimenting with adding more kinds of filament all the time. Just do a Google search, the Europeans have been experimenting with the whole 3D printing thing longer than we have - you probably have a lot more options than we do. (Or you can check the European version of Amazon and read the reviews - people will let you know what works and what doesn't.)

Good choice on the M2! :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:57 pm

Esun is all over. Go on the official esun website. They have a dealer list there and the countries they are in

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:02 pm

Right, I checked the dealers list. Until now, I found no website that has a bigger selection of esun. Most of them have 5 or 6 colors, or have their own filament and sell esun only for special types like wood or glow in the dark (because they can't do this one their own I think). With Amazon, I found reprapworld. Seems to have nearly all of eSun and ninjaflex, so I will give them a try wenn the first spool runs out.

Edit: Yes, ColorFab seems to be much more expensive then eSun, also here!

Vprints

Post by Vprints » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:52 pm

I've been quite happy with the PLA I've gotten via Dimension Alley (www.dimensionalley.com) in Berlin -- they're very nice, and helpful, and responsive. The cool part: They'll actually match any Pantone color. (Min. 5kg order for that service.) I've just gone with what they've had in stock though, and gotten a wide assortment of colors. I've been happy with them all; the 'metallic' ones in particular are gorgeous and print really well for me.

(The PLA is actually from www.3dk.berlin. I don't mind giving the folks at Dimension Alley business though, so I haven't tried ordering from 3dk directly.)
-Vprints

Changing my world, one print at a time

Kulturfolger

Post by Kulturfolger » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:39 pm

Mahlzeit, :-)

The best place so for for me is http://extrudr.eu/ or German Reprap. The first one supplies me with PET-G and ABS and it's just the best stuff I've ever used.

Ingo
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

charles.yates

Post by charles.yates » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi,

Kinda new to the M2 (arrived earlier in the week), but since I had some filament left over from my old printer, I've been giving it a shot and getting brilliant results with it too.

The filament I have is MAXX Economy ABS Tooth White - bought from the vendor of the old printer via http://www.lpfrg.com/en/products/filaments (I hope the mods don't mind me linking to a competitor - I really can't vouch for their printers, but this filament has at least checked out well on the M2).

The shipping costs of a spool to Belgium was about 6 euro and it arrived (I think) the day after ordering it. However, they messed up and sent me Jungle Green instead - when I offered to return it in exchange for the ordered filament, they apologised profusely and sent me a replacement, suggesting that it was up to me if I want to send it back or keep it. I've elected to keep it :), but as yet I haven't tried it.

In case anyone wants to try it, I'm using slic3r with the following settings:

Filament diameter 1.89
Extrusion multiplier 0.9
Initial bed 110 degrees, dropping to 100 after the first layer
Initial extruder 240 degrees, dropping to 230 after the first layer
Fans off

I've jury-rigged an enclosure for the printer using the cardboard box which the m2 arrived in :) - temporary measure until I can find time to get to Ikea. Using kapton tape on the bed, cleaned with acetone between prints. No warping, no cracking, sticks to the bed really well - been flawless since arriving at the right settings anyway.

Might give their PLA a try at some point (and Jungle Green ABS of course) - will post more info if anyone is interested.

AFAICT, MAXX are a US company and have a few outlets in the states, but lpfrg seem to be their dealer in Europe.