Filament tangling on spool?

The place to discuss filament...
jcspball13

Re: Filament tangling on spool?

Post by jcspball13 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:35 pm

This community truly rocks!

I tried unspooling like the video said, and seems to have worked great!

Also started using binder clips on all my rolls!

No tangles yet; think I am going to try to new spool thing Jules recommended as well!

Thanks again for all the help, huge saver for me!

Vandal968

Post by Vandal968 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Those tiny binder clips work beautifully, I've dumped all my 3D printed filament clips after discovering that trick in this forum.

cheers,
c

SouthSideofdaSky

Post by SouthSideofdaSky » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:05 pm

sthone wrote:
SouthSideofdaSky wrote:I'm surprised that I could unintentionally produce a line cross that deep into the reel.
I pretty sure that line cross didn't start that deep in the spool... it just continues for hours because the wraps on the spool can still be loose enough not to affect anything. Once the roll does start tightening up (could be minutes, could be hours) then it actually knots up (so to speak) and won't allow the extruder to pull any more.
That makes sense.

I will have to try the binder clips. Thanks sthone! And Jules, I like the roller bearing mod!

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:42 pm

SouthSideofdaSky wrote:... And Jules, I like the roller bearing mod!
Ahhhhh, thank ye kindly! Only problem is, i can't hear that it's working now. :D

minusbacon

Post by minusbacon » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:43 pm

Anyone have an issue with a spool being tangled from the factory? I just had a print go off on the x axis about a 1/3 through the print. After some investigating I noticed that the spool was hard to unravel because it was tangled a bit. I never unraveled any of this spool. I'm pretty sure the tangle hung up the extruder on the x axis which threw the print off. I've only been using MakerGear filament and I've had a couple spools that had some areas where it was hard to unravel due to another area of filament being over it.

Redoing the print now and so far its good. I keep checking it and have had to move the spool a little to unravel it a little due to light hangups. Some MakerGear filament isn't spooled very well. The current spool I'm using is unspooling very unevenly. Looking at the spool on the printer, there's about a quarter inch difference in thickness on the right side compared to the left due to it not being wrapped evenly. That's not a big deal but the tangles are gonna be frustrating if they keep causing prints to mess up.