Low Temperature Filament (eMorph) w/ Specially Designed Pen

The place to discuss filament...
intservo

Low Temperature Filament (eMorph) w/ Specially Designed Pen

Post by intservo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:34 pm

If this is inappropriate here please move/modify/discard as needed. This post is about eMorph and its compatible 3D pen.

ESUN is one of the only two major polymorph producer worldwide and they have been talking about making it into filament for the last year. They made first lab version this summer and have teamed up with RepRapPro UK to produce a low-temperature printer called Fisher. In the mean time they also worked with pen manufacturers and specially engineered a low-temperature 3D pen.
The filament is called eMorph/eMate. Both have same formula and only 1.75mm for now. The eMorph will add 3mm version for printers.
The pen is named as iSUN 3D pen. Essentially they provided the low temperature design and requirements, those factories nearby produce them.
I personally think eMorph is much more useful in 3D pen than in printer.

In my view this is a great solution and addressed current 3D pen's major issues.
One is the tip safety. People get burned quite easily, especially kids. Another is the waste re-usability. The waste is pretty much still work like PolyMorph pellets and can be used for molding, repairing, diy, geometry model and toys etc. The pen still supports PLA but not ABS. So they went on to kickstarter and hopefully can interact with more users and get more feedbacks before mass production. Their kickstarter campaign is not meant to raise money for the project. The project is already 95% done. They want to listen to clients before mass production.

The only low temperature pen I know of is the one using uv rasin. I don't know anyone have developed low temperature 3D FDM pen.

So I am helping post here and hopefully viewers here can provide some comments/suggestions. I will try to answer questions if I can. I worked with them during the process.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/89 ... nter-and-3

/William

Bratag

Re: Low Temperature Filament (eMorph) w/ Specially Designed

Post by Bratag » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Just watched the video and while the idea of a 3d pen is still not appealing to me , The filament itself surely is. I could see it having application for casting metals etc as you could pour a plaster mold around it and then simply bake the filament out in the oven. If it become very malleable at 80C then I figure it would flow like water at higher temps and run out of the mold.

I like the idea of being able to hand mold some of the plastic parts.

Is the filament going to be available outside of sale with the pen?

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Yeah, I thought the filament looked pretty interesting too! :P
(Wouldn't mind having some to play with and see what it can do.)

intservo

Post by intservo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:49 pm

Yes the filament is available to printer too.

I will get a few spools in two weeks. If anyone want to give it a try let me know I will cut around 40 to 50 feet and send to you. I should also have other new stuff and will send together.

Your printer might not support such low temp printing, around 110 celsius.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 pm

intservo wrote:Yes the filament is available to printer too.

I will get a few spools in two weeks. If anyone want to give it a try let me know I will cut around 40 to 50 feet and send to you. I should also have other new stuff and will send together.

Your printer might not support such low temp printing, around 110 celsius.
We do normally have to have the temp up above 170°C or so to feed using the jog controls in S3D, but someone around here recently had come up with a way to turn that off. (I think.) :D
Last edited by Jules on Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:40 pm

Jules wrote:We do normally have to have the temp up above 170°C or so to feed using the jog controls in S3D, but I someone around here recently had come up with a way to turn that off.
That would be "M302" which allows cold extrusion always; give it a value "S" with the minimum temperature to allow extrusion; e.g., "M302 S80", if you want to disallow cold extrusion but just put the set point a lot lower.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:58 pm

Tim wrote:
Jules wrote:We do normally have to have the temp up above 170°C or so to feed using the jog controls in S3D, but I someone around here recently had come up with a way to turn that off.
That would be "M302" which allows cold extrusion always; give it a value "S" with the minimum temperature to allow extrusion; e.g., "M302 S80", if you want to disallow cold extrusion but just put the set point a lot lower.
Tim, you're a genius! Thanks! :D

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:46 am

Awesome Tim. Was wondering if I would need modify my Marlin config, this is much easier.