PLA from makergeeks

The place to discuss filament...
boep777

PLA from makergeeks

Post by boep777 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi All, just got my first printer and shopping for filament.
Any experience with makergeeks PLA ? It comes with smaller packages and cheap.
Will I run into some troubles with M2 due to different hot end temperature ?
S3D settings advice ?
Thanks!
Boris

innkeeper

Re: PLA from makergeeks

Post by innkeeper » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:17 pm

i dont think there deals are better then any other frankly...

for me, for pla, i just go down to my local microcenter and pick up a 1kg (2.2lb) spool for 15 bucks.

as for your printer and s3d, sure its fully flexible, your able to set any temp needed and away you go.
if your new, don't forget to measure the actual dimension of your fillmanet and enter that into s3d too, as it will make a difference.
if you don't own a digital caliper, go get one..they can be had at most harbor freights for under 20 bucks.

only limit on temp is the max temps allowed on hotends, and there different depending on the hotend you have. but all hotend generations will handle any pla i've ever heard of.
just don't exceed that max temp and you will avoid any real damage you can cause the printer.

i'm probably not much different then many, i have multiple brands of filament laying around and i use them pretty interchangeably, sometimes with minor temperature adjustments.... some exhibit slightly different properties... most filament these days are relatively decent though.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.