a stronger material

The place to discuss filament...
insta

Re: a stronger material

Post by insta » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:11 pm

jimc wrote:Yeah i just did some testing and samples on some esun carbon fiber filled nylon. Wow what awesome stuff. It stuck down to a hairspray coated bed rock solid and its got zero warp that i could see. Extremely odd for nylon.
Yeah it's my new favorite nylon now. Super easy to use
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

boep777

Post by boep777 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:42 pm

Can you give me a link to this material - I found 3dxtech, some other plastics with fibers but not esun ... is it still in development ?

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:21 am

yes, not released yet. just had a beta sample. usually once samples hit the product isnt too far off. 4-6 weeks. just guessing though.

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:56 pm

Carbon filled nylon? Hmm, would like to try that.

I would like to put in a plug for Polymaker PC-Plus. I've been running it with the same settings I use for ePC but the material qualities are definitely different. The PC-Plus seems to be noticeably harder than the ePC.

I just printed towel rack ends (to use with a wooden dowel) and they are SO nice. With 80% infill they make a pleasant "clanking" sound when knocked into each other, which instill confidence in their solidity. I'll also note that I'm using the white PC-Plus. And I found out yesterday that they file very well, and found out 30 minutes ago that they sand wonderfully on a belt sander. I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure they would machine well too.

I'll post some pictures when I get a chance.

boep777

Post by boep777 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:59 pm

hi jhaupt! I actually used your ePC settings and notes - they were very useful - any difference for polymaker ? I've ordered black pc-plus.

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:49 am

Hi beop777, excellent, good to hear it! I'm using the same settings for PC-Plus except that for larger prints I use a big brim (12 outlines) on the Zebra Plate because it seems to curl worse than ePC, but I've also been printing bigger parts with the PC-Plus so it's hard to be sure. Also, I've had to add binder clips along the two long sides of the build plate because when adhesion is good the print actually pulls the Zebra Plate up into a saddle shape, and the corner clips aren't enough! I'm using a binder clip-free drop in build plate scheme, but this would happen with binder clips too. So to recap that last bit, I have my drop in corner

You probably saw that Polymaker recommends using BuildTak with it and sells BuildTak with the material, but I unclicked that option thinking the Zebra Plate was good enough. It WORKS with the Zebra, but I'm about to order more white PC-plus and will let them send me the BuildTak with it. My new thinking is I'll put the BuildTak ON the Zebra so I can use the flexibility of the Zebra to help release the prints from teh BuildTak. My Zebra is getting worn out too so this is a good time to try this. I'm going to order another Zebra, so if my plan with the BuildTak works I'll have one Zebra with BuildTak on it all the time just for polycarbonate, and another that will be dedicated to PLA and PolyWood. From what I'm reading here the BuildTak is so effective I'll probably be able to turn off the brim when using it, which is just nice.

Finally, and this applies to PC-Plus and ePC, I realized that with these high (80%+) infills there really doesn't seem to be a reason to print with honeycomb. 80% is 80% (or 94% is 94%, whatever). I switched to rectlinear infill on a print that ran last night and it finished much closer to Simplify3D's estimate. A print estimated to finish in 8.5 hours finished in about 9.5 hours with rectlinear infill, wheras the same print with honeycomb infill took closer to 13 hours. I guess this is because Simplify3D isn't accounting for the machine's acceleration limits, which it doesn't know.