Post by jsc » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:04 am

Jules

Re: A sculptable filament

Post by Jules » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:13 am

Woof! :D

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:48 pm

Is that significantly different than the other low-temperature filaments like "mold-lay" or the eSUN eMorph? Seems like it's just the same stuff, only with an artist to demonstrate how to use it properly. . .

As an artist, 3D printer enthusiast, and open-source proponent, I see this as a great artists' tool, but I can also see the disappointment on the faces of non-artists when they find that the model they downloaded off of Thingiverse is a simple featureless blob, doesn't match the cover photo, and they're expected to do the rest themselves. Or maybe that's a perfectly acceptable alternative 3D printing paradigm for the kinds of people who hang out at arts and crafts stores. Come to think of it, there's probably a very large audience for that. But I think I'd prefer other finishing techniques on top of a sturdier plastic. This stuff, you either need to use to make a mold, or else you will end up putting it on top of the radiator and discover that it's a puddle on the floor the next morning.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:20 pm

CX 5 appears to be a modeling clay that has been reformatted into a filament. So lots of fun to sculpt, but it might not be good for functional objects, such as gears. It is used for special effects mold making, so it's probably gonna be good for casting.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites