printing filament with tungsten

The place to discuss filament...
MagicEngineer

Re: printing filament with tungsten

Post by MagicEngineer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:55 am

Tim wrote: Does that mean that you got a v3b stainless steel nozzle from MakerGear? I had assumed that when people were talking about the stainless steel nozzle on the forum, they were talking about the v4. MakerGear still doesn't appear to be advertising stainless steel nozzles anywhere on the website. I thought that you just purchase the regular nozzle and then write "stainless steel" in the "special instructions".
No, I got a stainless steel nozzle for the v4. It is not listed on the website, but I ordered the brass one and put a note in the special instructions that I wanted stainless steel. (Jules' idea not mine) It worked. I got a stainless steel nozzle for the v4.

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:01 am

wmgeorge wrote:Well I found my Machinery's Handbook and the only thing I got out of it was stainless can not be hardened like alloy steel. It can be cold hardened by working but that's about it. It has chrome and nickel added so its pretty tough but better than hardened/ tempered alloy steel? I don't know. It would be interesting to see some testing.
Well, at any rate it's good to have experts around who can set me straight on topics I don't know much of anything about. Transistors, amplifiers, microprocessors, I can do. Even deposition of silicon dioxide onto a boron-doped silicon substrate. But steel alloys? Not so much. Always fun to learn something new!

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:16 am

Tim wrote:
wmgeorge wrote:Well I found my Machinery's Handbook and the only thing I got out of it was stainless can not be hardened like alloy steel. It can be cold hardened by working but that's about it. It has chrome and nickel added so its pretty tough but better than hardened/ tempered alloy steel? I don't know. It would be interesting to see some testing.
Well, at any rate it's good to have experts around who can set me straight on topics I don't know much of anything about. Transistors, amplifiers, microprocessors, I can do. Even deposition of silicon dioxide onto a boron-doped silicon substrate. But steel alloys? Not so much. Always fun to learn something new!
:lol: Yeah, well consider me a moron on ALL of the aforementioned topics! (I agree, it's a damned good thing you guys are around.) :D

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:24 am

Jules wrote::lol: Yeah, well consider me a moron on ALL of the aforementioned topics! (I agree, it's a damned good thing you guys are around.) :D
Lack of experience and/or training is not the same as being a moron.

Besides, you once said that your husband is into guns, so I don't think there's anybody here who would dare to consider you a moron, on anything. :)

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:59 am

:lol: He's a pussycat.....don't let that slow you down. (Very tough on ducks, doves and fish, but he likes to eat those.)
I haven't shot anyone yet either, so you're probably safe. (Guns are way too noisy for my tastes, and they kick the kaka out of my shoulder.)

I do have a honed longsword though, that i play with for exercise...... ;)

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:07 pm

Regarding hardness and Stainless steel -vs- Steel. So far there has not been enough information posted about either of these items to determine which will be more wear resistant.

Typically brass will wear from abrasion faster than either any Steel or Stainless steel.

Steel comes in may grades and many can be hardened to a wide range of hardness. A high quality 4140 for instance is considered soft at 24 Rockwell C scale (24 RC) you can order it pre hardened
and it will typically come in at 28-32 RC (About as hard as a ball peen hammer) and can be hardened to 63 RC about as hard as a file.

Stainless also comes in many grades with different characteristics. 303 Stainless is easy to machine and less wear resistant than a lot of steels. 17-4ph Stainless Steel can be heat treated for extreme wear.
and 440 Stainless is used to make ball bearings.

With all the possible combination of grades and temper that can be used unless you ask exactly what it is your pretty much guessing.

As for printing with tungsten I would get the hardest nozzle I could. You will get wear in brass. (But a nice naval bronze could be a nice compromise.)

boep777

Post by boep777 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:21 pm

Sent an order to MakerGear for brass and steel nozzles 0.35 and 0.5 in number :) - will see how these will work in practice. Thanks for great discussion!

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:37 pm

boep777 wrote:Sent an order to MakerGear for brass and steel nozzles 0.35 and 0.5 in number :) - will see how these will work in practice. Thanks for great discussion!
You're welcome, and please give some feedback once you get them and try them out. Most of us don't have any experience with the steel nozzles.

creativedex

Post by creativedex » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:27 am

This just ticks me off... Makergear FIX your website! I just bought my 3rd M2 and im just finding out about the steel nozzles ...been looking for them for a year but havent been too active here in the forum because i dont have the time to read every freaking post! hell this last order i just asked for what i wanted and they sent me an invoice rather then try to find the damn links to them!

Rant over, disapointed.

Great printers none the less

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:55 am

creativedex wrote:This just ticks me off... Makergear FIX your website! I just bought my 3rd M2 and im just finding out about the steel nozzles ...been looking for them for a year but havent been too active here in the forum because i dont have the time to read every freaking post! hell this last order i just asked for what i wanted and they sent me an invoice rather then try to find the damn links to them!

Rant over, disapointed.

Great printers none the less
:lol: They're still testing them, but you know how this crowd can't wait for anything. Just order a spare brass nozzle and ask them to send a stainless one in the comments.