Excellent Filaments Resource - Blog

The place to discuss filament...
Jules

Excellent Filaments Resource - Blog

Post by Jules » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:53 am

Have you guys seen this blog? This guy Walter seems to have tried just about everything, and he's got some nice side-by-side comparisons for various kinds of filaments. (Like the flexible ones, carbon fiber, woods, polycarb, metals, nylons and even a magnetic filament.)

http://thrinter.com/
Last edited by Jules on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim

Re: Excellent Filaments Resource - Blog

Post by Tim » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:19 am

There's a guy who has spent a ton of money on filament. But what a nice reference! Very thorough. Thanks for the link, Jules!

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:31 am

:lol: Thank God he did, 'cause it will probably save me a bundle! (I've been stung a couple of times already, and I haven't been doing this nearly as long as you guys.)

I really appreciate the reviews on the expensive stuff....not as many people have tested those out. (To me, anything over 30 bucks/kg is expensive, and i sure as heck don't want to waste it.)

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:45 am

His posts on coating prints with a metallic layer using a rotary tumbler and screws are also quite interesting.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:08 pm

jsc wrote:His posts on coating prints with a metallic layer using a rotary tumbler and screws are also quite interesting.
Yes they are - I'd missed that. :D

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:15 pm

jsc wrote:His posts on coating prints with a metallic layer using a rotary tumbler and screws are also quite interesting.
How timely.... i just got a tumbler over the weekend (harbor freight sale) to try both using stainless steel media to final polish metallic filaments like colorfabb and to also try brass on brass coating of lower metallic content as part of the polishing steps.

on a slightly related note, while looking for cheaper alternatives to colorfabb, i just got some esun bronze only to learn it has very low metal content. :( - with a low density of 1.27 ... thier ecoppper seems higher density of 2.46, but haven't got any yet. I've picked up some shaxon copper,brass and bronze ... those are still in the box and messaged shaxon for thier density's as it dosn't appear to be documented.

eSun sent me a great chart on thier filaments... see below
IMG_1789.JPG
eSun filament chart
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:38 pm

innkeeper wrote:
How timely.... i just got a tumbler over the weekend (harbor freight sale) to try both using stainless steel media to final polish metallic filaments like colorfabb and to also try brass on brass coating of lower metallic content as part of the polishing steps.

on a slightly related note, while looking for cheaper alternatives to colorfabb, i just got some esun bronze only to learn it has very low metal content. :( - with a low density of 1.27 ... thier ecoppper seems higher density of 2.46, but haven't got any yet. I've picked up some shaxon copper,brass and bronze ... those are still in the box and messaged shaxon for thier density's as it dosn't appear to be documented.

eSun sent me a great chart on thier filaments... see below
IMG_1789.JPG
Yes the esuns bronze cant be polished etc like the colorfabb, it does however look very nice when printed at low res.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:08 am

It does actually contain brass though. I set some on fire to prove it did.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:23 pm

insta wrote:It does actually contain brass though. I set some on fire to prove it did.
But its density is only just barely above regular PLA, and that's borne out by the sort of olive-greenish plastic look of prints made with it. You can't have gotten much brass/bronze out of it.

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:18 pm

insta wrote:It does actually contain brass though. I set some on fire to prove it did.
I am detecting a strong pyromaniacal trend in you insta.