Excellent Filaments Resource - Blog

The place to discuss filament...
insta

Re: Excellent Filaments Resource - Blog

Post by insta » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:26 pm

Bratag wrote: I am detecting a strong pyromaniacal trend in you insta.
;)
Tim wrote: But its density is only just barely above regular PLA, and that's borne out by the sort of olive-greenish plastic look of prints made with it. You can't have gotten much brass/bronze out of it.
About 6" of the filament burnt down in a crucible to enough brass powder to roll between my fingertips, but not that I really stood a chance of collecting or weighing. I actually wonder how it'd look coated with XTC-3D and low-layers, because I agree it's not really polishable.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

innkeeper

Re: Excellent Filaments Resource - Blog

Post by innkeeper » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:06 am

follow up on the shaxon filament...
I did finally get a reply from SHAXON on their metal infused pla density.
the density is 1.24 g/cm3 which is the same as plain ole PLA.
so like eSun's Bronze filament, there is very little actual metal content.
I confirmed their density they gave me by actual weighing some shaxon metal infused pla and doing the math, and came out to roughly what they report.

in short, if your looking to polish up your print for a real metal look like you can with the ColorFab metal filamants, SHAXON brass, bronze, and copper, and eSun bronze are not a good choice, there is simply not enough metal in them to be able to polish them. and yes i've actually tried.
this doesn't mean they are bad filament. Just that there not brassFill / bronzefill / copperfill alternatives.
the prints look fine as they come off the printer.
Also i am thinking they will likely make a good base for metal coating using some of the techniques described on the net. which i hope to try out soon as time permits.

eSun eCopper is another story, it has much higher density. I haven't had my hands on it yet like i have with the above filaments so cant comment more than knowing it has the potential to be polished. i just wanted to be clear and not lump in the eCopper with the rest, its a completely different beast.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.