Design Shop brand filament

The place to discuss filament...
MagicEngineer

Design Shop brand filament

Post by MagicEngineer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:36 pm

Has anyone tried Design Shop brand ABS filament? Amazon has it for $15.79 a kg. That price makes me very tempted to try it, but also skeptical.

jimc

Re: Design Shop brand filament

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:53 am

never tried it. if you dont want to experiment then microcenter carries their inland brand which is just private labled esun. i believe its about the same price.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:39 pm

inland works for me...cheap and its a local pickup...
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Thank you both. I went ahead and ordered a roll. i'll post here after I have played with it a bit. If it doesn't impress me I will give Inland a try.

MagicEngineer

Post by MagicEngineer » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:49 pm

I promised a report on this filament, and here it is.

My first impression was not good. I ordered black and the color seemed light compared to the Hatchbox I have been using. The spool also seemed very messily wound and I was worried that it would be a mess of tangles. As I began printing, however the color seemed to darken to what I am used to, and I never had a single tangle the entire roll. It printed fine with the exact same settings I use for Hatchbox and actually seemed to try to pull away from the bed less. One of the most important issues to me, is how well it smooths with acetone, and in that department it did very well. Hatchbox always seemed a bit resistant to acetone smoothing so this is a big improvement. The only draw back is, it does suffer the most extreme discoloration from acetone smoothing I have seen to date. This isn't a factor for me since I will be painting the prints anyway, but it might be of concern to others.
Over all I am not disappointed and will be ordering more.