eSun PLA+ filament

The place to discuss filament...
jsc

Re: eSun PLA+ filament

Post by jsc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:01 am

Just loaded up a roll of PLA+ in red. Got tired of fixing up snapped ends coming up on the dregs of a roll of Hatchbox white PLA. That roll is super brittle now, you can snap bits of it off by hand.

First print is coming out very nice. It's a piece that I've had to reprint several times as it gets stress fractures under use. I'll report back if PLA+ does any better.

Off topic: I now have a length of PTFE tubing with some PLA filament stuck inside, with internal fractures. I cannot for the life of me get it out. Any suggestions?

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:31 am

if it wont push out by feeding new filament through the tube then did you try blowing it out with an air compressor?

TheRyanRanch

Post by TheRyanRanch » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:16 pm

willnewton wrote:Anyone else give this a try? I didn't have anything come up in the search.

I have just started a roll of the black filament. Seems OK to me so far. I haven't done any real testing to check if it is hugely different from the regular stuff. The odor is equivalent to PLA, which is "mild to not much" in my opinion.

You can use your regular PLA settings, but I bumped my extruder temp first/second layer from 210/205°C to 220/215°C and my bed temp up from 50 to 60°C (blue tape).

It seems to be extruding nicely at 80mm/sec.

From eSun via intservo.com
http://www.intservo.com/products/esun-p ... 9061128323
Major differences between PLA+ and regular PLA:
Elongation At Break: PLA+ 29% Regular PLA 5%
Izod Impact Strength: PLA+ 7KJ/m2 Regular PLA 4.2KJ/m2
image.jpeg
So what would the "ultimate" settings be with this PLA+ ?
and with cooling ? :)

Greg_FL

Post by Greg_FL » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:52 pm

Hello

I just wanted to chime in about the eSun PLA+. I have had my printer since November so pretty much reading all the time here and learning as I go. From a new user standpoint this has hands down been the easiest filament that I have printed with to date. I use the stock S3D pla profile, print at 195c and it just works. I so far have printed through 3 rolls of Brown PLA+, working on a roll of green PLA+, working through a roll of Red PLA+ and have roll of Black still sealed.

Also I just want to say working with William at the Intservo site has been really good in regards to filament, fast communication and super customer service. But you guys prob already know that. I put some screen shots below from my YouTube channel (Search Greg_FL) . I was primarily a Hirst Arts channel then I got my M2 and it took a very hard right turn. I have done 3 episodes of Made with My MakerGear showing off all kinds of things that I have printed, designed etc. With a large majority of it being printed in the PLA+ from a new 3d printer user this stuff just works.

Title screenshot from my last video (All the Brown is eSun PLA+):

https://goo.gl/photos/kh8Zpr9K4kW6oLjq5

DragonLock Dungeon Terrain: eSun Brown PLA+

https://goo.gl/photos/TC6EeQzr55sZ1FZS9

Guild Ball Dice Box and template set

https://goo.gl/photos/BrVrvk6mAT1s9orJ7

Printable Scenery (Winterdale) kickstarter buildings

https://goo.gl/photos/Lbb7EPcupkPPEea78

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:37 am

Works just like regular PLA as far as I can tell. Of course, cooling.

Roadsweeper

Post by Roadsweeper » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:08 am

Does anyone know of a UK supplier for PLA+?

Intservo don't ship outside the states and eSUN's own website isn't much help

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:27 pm

Esun used to have a worldwide distributor list on their website

Roadsweeper

Post by Roadsweeper » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Eventually found the list, nothing in UK though, and most of the European ones don't stock pla+, the only one that does is charging £30 a roll and then I've got international postage on top of that.

I'll just keep an eye on it and wait till more people start stocking it, or just let you guys test it out :) and wait till it appears on amazon or something.

Thnx

bignordique

Post by bignordique » Sun May 08, 2016 3:14 pm

Have a spool of Hatch transparent that keeps snapping off if I let the machine sit idle for more than a couple hours. Got tired of rethreading the machine.

Also worried about the brittleness of resulting prints...

PLA+ alleged to be much less brittle than regular PLA, and read the _first_ post on this thread that reports it prints like a dream.

Prefer transparent, but not available in PLA+. White is usable, so I bought a spool of white PLA+.

First prints were a disaster. _Then_ I noticed the later comments about white PLA :( .

So I whipped out my calibration squares and noticed the prints were "lean". Jacked up my extrusion multiplier a bit and now I'm getting very nice prints from the white PLA+ :D .

YMMV.

bignordique

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue May 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Late to the party but trying my first print with the PLA+ this morning. :D

LIKE.IT.A.LOT!

Might even be love....I'll update once I've tried the flex on the printed object. Got a problem with a thin stressed part breaking off in regular PLA. We'll see how it does with the plus.

Update: Holding like a champ.....I really do like this stuff - it prints creamier.