esun stainless and copper pla

The place to discuss filament...
jimc

esun stainless and copper pla

Post by jimc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:31 am

so I got ahold of some samples of some esun stuff still in beta. a stainless steel and copper filament. these are unlike their bronze which is more pigment based. these are heavy and actually have metal in them much like colorfabb filaments. both of these printed very nice and clean. the stainless in the just printed for looks like raw cast iron/steel and when its buffed out a little it brings a shine or shimmer out on the print. I didn't bring any of my pieces to a high poish at all. if you sand out layer lines and polish it smooth it will get fairly shiny. that look just didn't go with my prints which are all designed by walter's sister. not much into knick knacks but I really like these little things. very aztek like. anyway, the copper.....the copper when printed looks and feels just like red clay pottery (second pic). nothing like copper at all actually. when you buff it is when the pinkish orange shine comes out. again, its not overpowering. just enough to give a slight metallic look as the light passes over it.
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_5115.JPG

Jules

Re: esun stainless and copper pla

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:42 am

Did you use a steel nozzle to print those jim?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:37 am

nope, regular brass. if I was printing a lot of this stuff I might look in to it but the occasional print wont matter. I have another sample here I have to give a try which is interesting. carbon filled nylon. :mrgreen: I'm excited for that one. long term that will tear up a brass nozzle too.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:52 am

jimc wrote:nope, regular brass. if I was printing a lot of this stuff I might look in to it but the occasional print wont matter. I have another sample here I have to give a try which is interesting. carbon filled nylon. :mrgreen: I'm excited for that one. long term that will tear up a brass nozzle too.
Kewl! They look great! :D

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:41 pm

Where can you get a steel / heat treated nozzle for a v4.

been printing a bit now with colorfabb metal and getting worried.... probably not as abrasive as carbon fiber, but still i am getting concerned.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:57 pm

innkeeper wrote:Where can you get a steel / heat treated nozzle for a v4.

been printing a bit now with colorfabb metal and getting worried.... probably not as abrasive as carbon fiber, but still i am getting concerned.
Go and order a brass one on the MakerGear site, (on the Upgrades page) and tell them you want a Stainless Steel nozzle in the notes/comments section. They'll send a steel one. :D

http://www.makergear.com/products/m2-upgrades

Bratag

Post by Bratag » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:23 pm

The fact that you got beta samples, I hope means these are close to release. I have been waiting on an alternative to colorfabb for a while. While the colorfabb is great its also very expensive and that price wont change until there is a good competitor to them on the market.

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:37 pm

I'd drop them an email before trying to order one... they were out of them last time I tried to get one. :(

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:59 pm

sthone wrote:I'd drop them an email before trying to order one... they were out of them last time I tried to get one. :(
Crud! I'll bet we snapped up all they had. :cry:

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:18 pm

apparently esun has an aluminum filament being released also but william doesnt have any samples of that yet