PLA Filament cracking when sitting in printer too long?

The place to discuss filament...
Kulturfolger

Re: PLA Filament cracking when sitting in printer too long?

Post by Kulturfolger » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:32 am

The best place is in the trash bin. My frist printer was a self sourced Mendelmax 1.5 and it tooks weeks for me to realize the filament has been some mixture between pla and abs. I could never make the printer work. But finally I decided to buy the most expensive roll of PLA I could find and there we go, the printer started to do its magic.

Right now I am very happy that I can print my jobs in clear PET-G which helps a lot finding problems, a batch of ten rolls had air bubbels in them, but my supplier acted fast, 24h hours later I got replacment and now its on again.
Feel free to correct my mistakes. English is not my native language.

john.miller

Re: PLA Filament cracking when sitting in printer too long?

Post by john.miller » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:25 am

Vandal968 wrote:This seems to be the only spool that's acting up, but I can't be certain since I was printing pretty much continuously until recently and this spool is only tricky when left loaded in the machine (ie: under tension) and not printing. Most of my spools are Hatchbox which is what this trouble spool is and I've got FAR older spools that seem ok. This red spool seems VERY tightly wound and stiff. I'm in AZ and humidity is pretty low.

cheers,
c
I just had the exact same thing happen to me with a roll of Hatchbox red PLA I picked up on Amazon. They must've had a bad batch. It snapped during printing, which I thought I was odd but shrugged off. Two heavy clogs later and I'm tossing the roll. It's a great color, but too clog prone and the prints were incredibly brittle.

Other hatchbox spools seem to be fine. We use their products quite often at work and haven't come across a roll this bad before so I'm chalking it up as an anomaly.