Whats the highest temp resistant 3dprinted material?

The place to discuss filament...
hybridprinter

Whats the highest temp resistant 3dprinted material?

Post by hybridprinter » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:09 am

Probably PEEK right? But is it printable on the M2?

Are some resins higher heat resistant than filaments? 3dprinted SLA molds must take a lot of heat.

insta

Re: Whats the highest temp resistant 3dprinted material?

Post by insta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:50 am

It's either PEEK or Ultem ... the all-metal V4 could do either, but you'd need a thermocouple to reach high enough temps. I don't know what you'd do to get it to stick to the bed.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:51 am

Ultem ..or peek. At 175.00 for 750g. Thermo couple required and I am not sure the v4 could take 350 C....although I have been thinking about seeing if it could. ;) Sounds like a fun side project !
Last edited by PcS on Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:11 am

PcS wrote:Ultem ..or peek. At 175.00 for 750g. Thermo couple required and I am not sure the v4 could take 350 C....although I have been thinking about seeing if it could. ;) Sounds like a fun side project !
$175 for 750kg is about the price for scrap steel, but I know what you meant.

The PTFE V4 won't do it, but the all-metal that a few people (meeee) have definitely would.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:39 am

Looks like they are doing PEEK with an M2... Read on...

http://www.3dxtech.com/firewire-carbon- ... -filament/

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:26 am

640.00 for 750g. Yikes. I have bought filament from this supplier and found all to be good quality. On the pricey side though. I am impressed with the carbon fiber reinforced abs so far but have only tried it for one print. Did not someone in the past put a thermo couple on the m2 ? Seems like I remember it from somewhere ? At insta ! ? Do you just ask for that in the order form I assume ? Regarding the all metal V4 ?

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:36 pm

hybridprinter wrote:3dprinted SLA molds must take a lot of heat.
For high temperatures, such as metal casting, the printed model is not used for a mold. The mold is made from casting sand or casting investment.

Example basics of the process:
You print an item you want made in metal, such as a piece of jewelry. You can pour a silicone mold of a printed model, then use the silicone mold to cast a wax model of your printed item.

The wax model is used to make an investment mold. Investment is a mold making material similar to plaster of paris. It has a VERY high temperature rating.

The wax is burnt out of the hardened mold in a kiln. The molten metal is poured into the empty mold. The casting is de-molded and the metal version of printed item is revealed.

There has been some success with directly casting printed PLA models that have been molded in investment or casting sand. Some folks even bypass burning out the plastic and pour the metal directly into the mold, melting out the PLA and casting the model at the same time.

Each technique has its own applications depending on how finely detailed the end casting needs to be, what metals you are casting, and what casting/mold making techniques are within your budget and skill set.

I was a jeweler and did casting via SLA 3D prints, so have some experience in the matter. Just wanted to clarify how a low temperature model is cast in a high temperature process.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

insta

Post by insta » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:52 pm

PcS wrote:640.00 for 750g. Yikes. I have bought filament from this supplier and found all to be good quality. On the pricey side though. I am impressed with the carbon fiber reinforced abs so far but have only tried it for one print. Did not someone in the past put a thermo couple on the m2 ? Seems like I remember it from somewhere ? At insta ! ? Do you just ask for that in the order form I assume ? Regarding the all metal V4 ?
The all-metal was made very briefly when the dual-extruder kit was first released as beta. It was fragile (I bent mine) and didn't stick around very long. The PTFE one is practical because it has a temperature range up to the thermistors' max temp, which is also in the area of what you need for true polycarbonate. I've bugged Rick off and on for more all-metal barrels, but nothing's shown up yet.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:09 am

Meant to say 3dprinted molds for making plastic end parts, not metal parts.

Regarding the M2, surprised nobody on this forum has yet to rig up their machine to print Ultem or PEEK. Those materials open up many new applications (yes they are very expensive but its better than subtractive machining wasting half the material).

insta

Post by insta » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:23 am

Nobody's had a need to yet. I know I personally switch over to silicone & resin casting when I get to where I'd normally want Ultem. It's a lot easier to get to the multi-hundreds-of-degrees working temperatures with 2-part resins and epoxies.