3DXTech Carbon fiber infused abs

The place to discuss filament...
AndyB

Re: 3DXTech Carbon fiber infused abs

Post by AndyB » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi Jules,

Thank you for your information.

I'm currently running a print using 255C for the extruder and it looks great so far.

Question I didn't use the cleaning filament as you recommended and yes I was switching from PLA. What is cleaning filament and why is it needed?

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:59 pm

Excuse me while I go shoot myself.......... :lol:

If you do not use cleaning filament before switching from PLA (a low temperature filament -max 220°C) to something like what you are printing now (at 255°C), the PLA (which is nothing but sugar) will cook onto the nozzle and reduce the diameter.

So you are headed for a clog.

When you switch types of filament, if you do not use cleaning filament in between the different kinds, there is a little bit of your previous filament left in the nozzle, and if that is PLA, it bakes right into it.....becoming one with the nozzle. Since the nozzle opening is very small to begin with, you do not have a lot of leeway.

If you have a remnant of the higher temp filament in the nozzle, that might not melt properly at a lower temperature, and again, you have a clog.

So you always run cleaning filament through when you change types of filaments....it has the ability to melt at both high and low temperatures, and it will force out any remnants before you change the filament, and before you increase the temperature.

Don't switch back and forth between filaments without using the cleaning filament. The problem builds up rapidly.

https://www.amazon.com/CLEANING-Filamen ... g+filament

You will want to buy a spare nozzle if you do not have one. (Just the nozzle, not the whole hot end.) :?

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:16 am

jules, are you seeing the clogging when switching from pla to abs now with the v4 extruder? i know it was a big problem back with the v3b. once i switched to an e3d that had a ptfe liner my clogging issues from switching filaments went away. i figured the v4 would be the same thing since its also ptfe lined.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:22 am

jimc wrote:jules, are you seeing the clogging when switching from pla to abs now with the v4 extruder? i know it was a big problem back with the v3b. once i switched to an e3d that had a ptfe liner my clogging issues from switching filaments went away. i figured the v4 would be the same thing since its also ptfe lined.
Nope....haven't had a single clog in a V4 nozzle. The one that I had was in the V3b, back in the beginning of time. :)

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:42 pm

I couldn't get the Filament Innovations Carbon Fiber ABS Hybrid Filament to bond between layers. The layers easily delaminated. I tried the extruder temperature at 255c and 220c. I also tried changing the default print speed from 48000 to 18000.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Jules wrote:So you always run cleaning filament through when you change types of filaments....it has the ability to melt at both high and low temperatures, and it will force out any remnants before you change the filament, and before you increase the temperature.
I pretty much gave up on the stuff. When I use the cleaning filament, it hangs in the nozzle worse than the plastic - keeps spitting out little blobs long after I have removed it and run the new material in - and I haven't had any issues yet. Not running PLA these days either. Do you have a trick for getting the cleaning filament to exit promptly?

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:21 pm

No, I pretty much experienced the exact issues. Stuff is terrible. :?

Still need to use it though - a clog is worse.

Or go to a dual, which gives you a dedicated nozzle for each type. (What I ultimately did.) :)

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:28 am

I was at the IMTS this past week and talked to a Markforged guy. They actually use an entirely different printer set up for printing their version of CF infused Nylon, called Onyx. He said that on the Onyx printers, the guides and filament driving wheels are all made from different materials, since the carbon-fiber would wear out those things out a lot faster. I do not know how big a concern it is for any other printer, or how similar Onyx really is to 3DXTech's stuff, but it might be something to consider.

mlr53

Post by mlr53 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:10 pm

I've run over 5 rolls of the CF filament and haven't had any problems with layer separation. Also haven't seen any wear on the .35 SS nozzle. I normally run it at 220 to 230 temp setting. The parts a very impact resistant, but once you reach the limit, they snap like they are brittle since the CF is a powder in the filament and not a fiber like in glass cloth. You experience less flexibility give, but it still snaps once a stress limit is reached.