Feed Failures with PETG

The place to discuss filament...
wmgeorge

Re: Feed Failures with PETG

Post by wmgeorge » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:49 pm

And its nice to have the info about eSun, I hope that applies to the new stuff as I have about 6 rolls of it from ordering back in August. :(
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

PcS

Post by PcS » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:13 pm

The inconsistencies are all related to filament diameter ,roll winding,and smooth extrusion of the filament. It seems as if the last 6 rolls have had quality control issues to cause a print to end. If I get a perfect roll it prints just fine. I do not like the smell of it either. I have had better luck with colorfabb stuff but it is exspensive. Not one bad roll and it prints very consistently everytime.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:30 pm

PcS wrote:It must be something in the air.....I have decided I will no longer buy any esun. Every roll out of the last 6 has had print ending inconsistencies. I am trying to burn up a roll of translucent blue right now...if it quits again I am going to toss it. Sorry to rant and hijack the thread but I have petg from other makers and not got a bad roll yet. The cost savings isn't worth it.
You know, come to think of it, i've had to rescue a couple of the eSun PETG prints from imminent demise too. (Tangled on the spool.) Since I'm usually only about eight feet away when it's printing, i can hear it catch and get over there and save it. :shock:

Honestly though - I figured it was my fault......sometimes i drop the end when i'm putting it away. :roll:

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:57 pm

Jules wrote:Honestly though - I figured it was my fault......sometimes i drop the end when i'm putting it away. :roll:
Time to point THIS out again. :mrgreen:

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:37 pm

Yep! :D

PcS

Post by PcS » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:35 pm

My roll failures are 100 percent definitely not my fault !!!! I handle all rolls the same ! Carefully ! When you cut 10 foot extrusion issues out of a roll that is inexcusable. Not the fault of loading and unloading incorrectly. And I have put new rolls on only to find 10 hrs in.... a crossed filament that causes a strip. I know others have not had issues . I am glad for them. I must move on .

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:04 am

PcS wrote:My roll failures are 100 percent definitely not my fault !!!! I handle all rolls the same ! Carefully ! When you cut 10 foot extrusion issues out of a roll that is inexcusable. Not the fault of loading and unloading incorrectly. And I have put new rolls on only to find 10 hrs in.... a crossed filament that causes a strip. I know others have not had issues . I am glad for them. I must move on .
Inner peace, inner peace.....in-in-in-in-in-innnnnner peace. :ugeek: ;)

(Sympathize though....I've had a couple spools of thier PLA that jumped up over 1.95-2.00 mm diameter in a spot or two. Most were fine though. (I also have several spools of their PETG, I hope it's not a common problem with that type. Guess I'll find out. :? )

wmgeorge

Post by wmgeorge » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:37 am

I'd think the only real fix is to re-spool filament to another good reel and at the same time have it running through a gauge that would trip the whole process to off if it hits an oversize spot in the filament. Kind of like when you buy bulk fishing line to fill your reel. Or just find another brand that is 100% spot on.
Retired Master Electrician, Commercial HVAC/R,CNC Router

PcS

Post by PcS » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:09 pm

wmgeorge wrote:I'd think the only real fix is to re-spool filament to another good reel and at the same time have it running through a gauge that would trip the whole process to off if it hits an oversize spot in the filament. Kind of like when you buy bulk fishing line to fill your reel. Or just find another brand that is 100% spot on.
It is easy to make a filament size switch, or just buy one, and marlin already supports it in the gcode. You could have it move the extruder off platform and pause the print until you find it and fix it. I am looking into this as I write this, however I do not have a solution to crossed filament other than your aforementioned solution, or buy better more exspensive filament.

treat1

Post by treat1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:57 am

First a warning, I am an EE and a rank amateur at 3-D printing. I read about PETG and really wanted to use it and I made some test prints and it came out great, much better than expected. I love the combination of tuffness and flexibility, plus the semi transparent material has a jewel look to it.

So I go to print the real parts and I get the feed problem talked about in this topic. I keep trying different FFF settings (slower printing , hotter/cooler, more or less feed multiplier, etc) and nothing worked (different results).

I'm such a novice that I didn't know there was a extruder screw adjustment until I found and read this thread. I didn't see anywhere in the MakerGear directions about adjusting this screw. The eSun is on the small side (typically 1.65 to 1.72mm from my measurements and what I have read). I noticed the screw was loose (which I guess is right for PLA) so I cranked it all the way down and it feed a little bit and stopped with a clicking sound (OK that was too much). So I used my thumnail as a feeler gauge (later measured to be about 0.4mm thick) to give a small gap. On retracting the material after adjustment, I notice that I had a nice gear indentations in the filament such as showing in the article at: http://softsolder.com/2015/03/13/makerg ... entations/

I'm about 2 hours into a 12 hour print and so far so good. You mileage may vary.