ABS or PETG

The place to discuss filament...
Jules

Re: ABS or PETG

Post by Jules » Fri May 20, 2016 6:01 pm

Quick swipe with a long handled Q-tip after the print finishes, while the nozzle is still hot. (Just be sure to swipe the back of the nozzle thoroughly...it tends to hide back there.) You can also get in there at eye level with the nozzle and swipe off a build-up during the print if you're careful.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-CS100-6-Cotton ... 1_1&sr=8-1

I also added jin's code for retraction after the print ends.....it kind of sucks the filament back up into the nozzle so there's less drooling while it cools.

(With the duals especially....it's critical to keep those nozzle drips off the tips. If there's a huge honking drip parked on the end of the PETG nozzle when you go to print PLA, you're going to take out the print.)

(And I've tried a couple of the brass brushes....from personal choice, i prefer the Q-tips. They seem to catch more goop and don't scratch the nozzle up.)

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri May 20, 2016 6:53 pm

X2

Yup, i got mine from home depot. Tool sept, welding section. They have small brass and stainless wiod handled brushes. Mine is stainless. Brass is prob less wearing on the nozzle but that black crud can be kinda tough

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Fri May 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Seems like a q-tip would leave cotton fibers stuck to the nozzle. Brass brush sound like it would work though. I was thinking of taking some of the brass turnings from my soldering iron cleaner and making an extruder cleaner that you place over the nozzle and twist. It would probably clog up with plastic pretty fast though. Those copper scrubbing pads are a similar concept and would probably work too, then just toss them after they get all clogged.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

psd

Post by psd » Mon May 23, 2016 7:53 pm

thanks to Jules' advice and settings I am now printing wonderful parts in PETG! I am never going back to PLA!

Here is a gift I made for my wife (can you guess her name?) blue translucent eSun PETG
simobox.jpg
simoboxopen.jpg
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon May 23, 2016 8:08 pm

psd wrote:thanks to Jules' advice and settings I am now printing wonderful parts in PETG! I am never going back to PLA!

Here is a gift I made for my wife (can you guess her name?) blue translucent eSun PETG.....
Hmmmmnnnnn.......Alice? :lol:

Bet it's a HUGE hit! :D

psd

Post by psd » Tue May 24, 2016 6:42 pm

Hmmmmnnnnn.......Alice? :lol:

Bet it's a HUGE hit! :D[/quote]

LolJules, we have the same sense of humor!
- peter,

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Tue May 24, 2016 6:58 pm

psd wrote: I am never going back to PLA!
I said the same nearly a year ago, It's a quality material but I am finding that sometimes PLA is less of a headache.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Tue May 24, 2016 7:03 pm

Matt_Sharkey wrote:
psd wrote: I am never going back to PLA!
I said the same nearly a year ago, It's a quality material but I am finding that sometimes PLA is less of a headache.
PLA is also far more rigid than PETG. I've made some parts with PETG that did not work out because they flexed too much under load, where PLA parts performed far better.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Tue May 24, 2016 7:14 pm

When making threaded parts with PETG they will bind too much to be usable unless you lubricate the threads. ABS and PLA don't have that problem.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

psd

Post by psd » Tue May 24, 2016 7:23 pm

thanks for the good info, I guess I will keep my PLA on hand for specific requirements.

Which one flexes better without breaking? PLA ABS or PETG?
- peter,