Input Requested: What are your favorite filaments?

The place to discuss filament...
mgryan73

Input Requested: What are your favorite filaments?

Post by mgryan73 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:56 pm

We are looking at expanding our filament offering (as the M2 prints in many materials beyond PLA and ABS) and would like to gather the opinions of the community:

1. What is your most commonly used filament grade and manufacturer?
2. How would you rate its ease of use (scale of 1 - 5, 5 being easiest)?
3. What are some of your other favorites and their ease of use?
4. What information would you like MakerGear to provide for getting started with any particular filament grade?

Thank you for your help!
Ryan

rpollack

Re: Input Requested: What are your favorite filaments?

Post by rpollack » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:32 pm

The above post is from Ryan at MakerGear.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:15 pm

I know this is really not useful but the filament industry is so cut throat and the margins are so slim to even compete, is it even worth offering filament other than the one spool included with the printer?

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:30 pm

PETG seems to be pretty popular as an alternative to those who don't want to use ABS.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:44 pm

jim - that is part of the reason that we have not been doing it. but we also sell a fair amount of filament and some customers only (or mostly) get their filament from us (and some buy a lot). So, we are looking into building-out our offering of MakerGear filament.

insta

Post by insta » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:32 am

I really like the "+" offerings from eSUN (ABS+/PLA+), and the "++" offerings from Breathe-3dp (PLA++). Breathe is domestic, eSUN is well-known. Both are very nice. They are, however, ultimately PLA and ABS, although much nicer than I'm used to. The PLA's from both offerings are more heat tolerant, ridiculously strong, and "just work". They're a 6/5 on ease-of-use. I did no calibration, just dropped them in and ran with it, and made some of my strongest and best looking parts without really even trying.

I use a good amount of natural HIPS as well, it's actually a nice printing material. It's probably a 3/5, hairspray on kapton at 85C. I actually find PET/PETG a bit harder to work with, mostly because it's so persnickety about calibration and first layer. Support with HIPS (even as single-extrusion) is a breeze.

Regular ABS sucks. Never carry it.

If you want a "done-in-one" thing though, carry Taulman's products. You can skip Bridge and 230. All the Nylons stick great to bare glass + 50/50 elmers/water brushed on, at 45C. n-vent is an easy-to-use PLA as well. The flexy one is a stiffer ninjaflex. They are all self-cleaning in the hotend. The V4 loves them all.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jcspball13

Post by jcspball13 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:47 pm

Maker Geeks PETG is very, very good. I have used eSun Petg which worked ok, but Maker Geeks IMHO is much better!

Neep

Post by Neep » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:46 pm

I use a lot of eSun PLA and ABS, but also a lot of 3D Solutech PLA (which is made in the USA).

spector

Post by spector » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:43 pm

I used AzureFIlm PET-G and WOOD filament and both did an awesome job, great printability and wood filament really smells like wood i am very happy with this filaments
http://www.azurefilm.com/shop/pla-0000-wood/
http://www.azurefilm.com/3d-filament-pet-g/

Pekish79

Post by Pekish79 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:51 pm

^_^ i like cute filament
like fluorescent one or wood one metal one copper one

i buy white and black from you guys because i like to support Makergear if you had Wood/metal/fluorescent I would buy it all from you but as architect i really small quantity of many different color/type

so i don't think i am the best customer to ask advice to

what you can improve probably is more transparent one everybody like transparent and i don't use ABS only PLA or PETG