Input Requested: What are your favorite filaments?

The place to discuss filament...
willnewton

Re: Input Requested: What are your favorite filaments?

Post by willnewton » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:40 am

eSun PLA+ black, white, clear. Ninjaflex and Semiflex. eSun PETG-all flavors. eSun ePC-tough as nails. That is all I have bought over and over again and listed in the order I use them up.

ESun makes a very good product at a fair price. Fenner Drive stuff costs more, but I don't use nearly as much and the quality is VERY HIGH, so justifiable.

PLA+ has been a near flawless performer, except when the M2 or S3d needs a tweak. To me it is the daily driver. I use the black for 95+% of my printing, which includes nearly every prototype print. I make a lot of things that have to fit other things and that can make for a lot of reprinting as the fit comes together. These prints sometimes need to be a bit tough too and PLA+ helps with that. I'll do finished prints in the final color/filament.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:50 am

Above all, I like 3DXTech's carbon fiber and glass fiber filled stuff; ABS, Nylon, PETG, PLA.

nickpeck41

Post by nickpeck41 » Thu May 25, 2017 6:52 pm

mgryan73 wrote:We are looking at expanding our filament offering (as the M2 prints in many materials beyond PLA and ABS) and would like to gather the opinions of the community:

1. What is your most commonly used filament grade and manufacturer?
2. How would you rate its ease of use (scale of 1 - 5, 5 being easiest)?
3. What are some of your other favorites and their ease of use?
4. What information would you like MakerGear to provide for getting started with any particular filament grade?

Thank you for your help!
Ryan
1. 1.75mm Monoprice
2. 5
3. I haven't used to many other filaments yet, but I did try stuff from colorfabb and polymaker when I had my Taz6 for a full week before it died lol. The filaments seemed pretty solid though. Once I burn through my Monoprice stuff I would like to check out some other brands, but the MP stuff is so well priced and works so good it's hard to pass up. Very consistent with great colors and builds. Sometimes the red back be more orangie than red, but I think that's just a batch thing as the current red I have now looks great.

I just used some MP PETG for the first time last night and it was actually really easy to use, though not perfect as it is my first time using it and my current printer is a little odd with printing at higher temps. But the translucent blue looks amazing when it's printed, so hopefully I can get the settings dialed in for PETG at some point to really enjoy it.

jhaupt

Post by jhaupt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:51 am

1. What is your most commonly used filament grade and manufacturer?
eSun ePC (like isnta, I have no use for ABS, ever, and don't see PETG as a great ABS substitute)
2. How would you rate its ease of use (scale of 1 - 5, 5 being easiest)?
3. What are some of your other favorites and their ease of use?
My favorites right now are ProtoPasta Carbon-HTPLA (ease of use = 5), ProtoPasta Matte-HTPLA (ease of use = 5), and Hatchbox Wood (ease of use = 4). Nowadays I mostly only use straight PLA for throwaway test prints, prototypes, stuff like that. My number 1 filament would be the Matte-HTPLA if it weren't so expensive. When I need strength and toughness above every other requirement, it comes to Polymaker PC-Max (ease of use = 3).
4. What information would you like MakerGear to provide for getting started with any particular filament grade?
Not sure.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:30 pm

I print a lot of ABS. Mostly Hatchbox.
The only time I have an issue with it is if there are corners on overhangs. I get strong, rigid parts with great dimensional accuracy. I print on PEI and rarely have any lifting, even on large parts.
I don't consider PETG as an ABS alternative. I use PETG for parts that need to have a little flex. I print a lot of eSun and Hatchbox PETG.
eSun ePC prints well for parts that handle higher temps.
I recently did a test print with eSun ePA nylon and it turned out quite well - a very tough part.
I rarely print PLA. I don't have much use for parts that will curl up if I leave them in my car.

billc

Post by billc » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Previous M2 user, M3-ID since Oct 2017

I've gone almost exclusively to PETG with blue tape and hair spray for anything complicated or Kapton cleaned with alcohol (for simple shapes with decent flat areas). Currently printing Einstein's toys with Kapton and turning out beautifully. The striations are due to transparency from 30% infill. The surface is very smooth.

https://all3dp.com/release-your-inner-e ... enius-toys
Einsteins_toys.jpg
[img]Einsteins_toys.jpg[/img]

I started with PETG with the M2 and thanks to Jules setup suggestions I was able to get it to work and have been refining for a number of months. At this point it's pretty much start the printer and walk away, as long as there is enough base to stay stuck. :)

I have also used and liked Cheetah flexible filament for things requiring flexibility such as drone camera holders and landing gear pads. Have found it to be somewhat tricky especially if support is required.

Probably will try some ASA soon. Sounds like it has some nice properties.