PEI Filament

The place to discuss filament...
quaver

PEI Filament

Post by quaver » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:03 pm

Anyone have any experience printing PEI filament? I have had prototype parts printed by third party vendors on a few projects at the office but have none heard or read much about in the Maker community. High strength, excellent solvent resistance and exceptionally high working temperature. Its very expensive but could be a good choice for items that will be used outdoors. (http://www.3dxtech.com/ultem-9085-3d-filament/)

insta

Re: PEI Filament

Post by insta » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:18 am

At $350/kg, it's unlikely to really make inroads into the maker community. We're more likely to find alternate ways to solve whatever problem Ultem is trying to solve.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:07 pm

3DXTech has it for substantially less than that, but you cannot presently use a stock M2 to print it. I would really like to try PEI and PEEK, but you need a 400 C hot end. Maybe Ryan will come up with something soon. (Hint. Hint.)

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:18 pm

I just picked up a small roll of the 3dxtech ultem 1010 filament, and the other upgrades (PT100, and FR4 perfboard) to print with it. Once I am done making my enclosures, this is next on the list to start working with.

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Farr0wn3d wrote:I just picked up a small roll of the 3dxtech ultem 1010 filament, and the other upgrades (PT100, and FR4 perfboard) to print with it. Once I am done making my enclosures, this is next on the list to start working with.
Did you ever get the Ultem 1010 to work?

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:49 am

yes i did.

I did not print with it a ton, as I didn't want to waste the filament if I wasn't printing it for a purpose. Just printed it until I got the hang of it, and stopped.

I fought with it for a while before deciding to dry it in the oven, even though it was fresh out of a vacuum sealed package. Drying it made a world of difference. When it was wet, it had a frosted/micro foamy texture, but when its dry it prints to a nearly clear amber hue. The last time I printed ultem was in march, but I believe i printed it on a PEI sheet.

My ultem profile settings:
-slow layers (20mm/sec)
-hot end at 355C
-bed at 150 (which was only achievable by putting a towel on it during heat up, and having it inside an enclosure. It was full out to maintain that temp during the print)

One thing that I didn't do, but plan to, is to anneal a print after its finished. I found that my benchy (first successful ultem print) was delaminating layers as time went on after the print finished. In the week following the print, the benchy had all but tore itself apart sitting on a shelf. A friend hypothesized that it had something to do with taking on moisture after the print was finished, but I think it has more to do with internal stresses that were printed in as a result of the plastic shrinkage.

If you experiment with it, please post your findings. I'm eager to hear someone else's experience with it.

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:41 pm

Farr0wn3d wrote: -hot end at 355C
What mods do you have to get 355C?