Hatchbox PETG - Looking Good!

The place to discuss filament...
zemlin

Re: Hatchbox PETG - Looking Good!

Post by zemlin » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:00 am

I never considered the possibility of trying to apply something to the bed with it in the machine. It's easy enough to pull the plate ... not an issue for me.
FWIW, I have started using just a mist coat on the plate, but many layers to build up the thickness. It leaves a nice, fine, pebble finish that looks good on the base of the parts. Heavier coats on the plate never dry with a consistent surface texture.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:34 am

pyro why not just pick up the the plate, mist it and drop it back on the printer? only takes a second since the plate just sits there. a squirt bottle and napkin isn't a very controlled way to apply the stuff and sounds like taking a 2 sec job and turning it into a mess. ;)

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:10 am

jimc wrote:pyro why not just pick up the the plate, mist it and drop it back on the printer? only takes a second since the plate just sits there. a squirt bottle and napkin isn't a very controlled way to apply the stuff and sounds like taking a 2 sec job and turning it into a mess. ;)

Wanna race? I bet my squirt/wipe method is faster than removing the plate, spraying it and putting it back in. Don't forget to add the time for shaking your hairspray can :)

The coating is also very smooth and consistent because you are spreading it to a very thin layer.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:10 pm

how about using that Wolfbite stuff instead of hairspray?

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sun May 21, 2017 12:51 am

jimc wrote:pyro why not just pick up the the plate, mist it and drop it back on the printer? only takes a second since the plate just sits there. a squirt bottle and napkin isn't a very controlled way to apply the stuff and sounds like taking a 2 sec job and turning it into a mess. ;)

I just tried this with the exact hairspray you recommended but I'm still having the same problem. It must not be a hairspray issue, there is something else I must be doing wrong. What bed temp do you use for petg? I've been trying to use 70, which worked on PEI.

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun May 21, 2017 12:55 am

I run the plate at 80 for petg

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Sun May 21, 2017 1:00 am

85C here, whether PEI, Kapton, or Hairspray.

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sun May 21, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks, that was it. I'm printing at 100 right now and it is working, so I'll back it off to 80 on the next one and see how that goes. I have a feeling the other hairspray I was using will also work with the correct bed temp (Rave 4X Mega non aerosol).

pyronaught

Post by pyronaught » Sun May 21, 2017 9:27 pm

80 works too, looks like that is the low end cutoff for adhesion. The Rave 4x Mega hairspray works too. I like that you can squirt the non-aerosol spray on a hot plate and wipe it around without it gumming up the way ABS slurry would if you tried that. That allows recoating without waiting for the plate to cool down, which is nice. PETG seems to require recoating more often than PLA does.

I have six Mic6 plates made so far, only four left to do. After leveling the RevE machines I really hate going back and dealing with leveling the old three-screw plates.

Next project is to replace the filament guide attached to the frame with one that sounds an alarm when the filament runs out. I've seen some of these on thingiverse and even one for sale on amazon, but I'd rather custom make one that fits the M2 and uses a 9v battery. The alarm has to be annoying enough to force my wife to find me if I'm not around :)

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 am

I'm a real newbie, but I promised my daughter I'd make her some white fence brackets to replace some damaged vinyl ones. PETG is supposed to hold up well to UV, so off I go...

There lots of good info on settings for Hatchbox PETG in this thread. I'm going to change to a 0.5mm nozzle because tech support has had several reports of clogs with Hatchbox with the 0.35mm nozzle, but 0.5mm appears to be fine.

The one thing I haven't decided is the bed treatment. I still have a relatively pristine polyimide coating on my glass bed that I'd like to preserve. A couple recommended options I could try easily are painters tape, painters tape with glue stick, or glass with hairspray. I'm assuming I can just flip my glass & run it with the polyimide on the bottom for now. Hairspray on glass has the advantage of not adding any appreciable thickness, so in theory I can run with the same Z zero as with the polyimide.

Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!