What filament for airplane fairings

The place to discuss filament...
cenpen

What filament for airplane fairings

Post by cenpen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:27 pm

Just bought an m2 to build fairings for an airplane project. What materials do you recommend to mqqke them out of. Any advice is appreciated

Phil

Re: What filament for airplane fairings

Post by Phil » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Unless this is for an Experimental or an RC, the answer is, "None".
You might run afoul FAA regulations, since the parts would have to be tested. I also doubt the process has been approved by the FAA. Boeing and some of the other big companies have just begun 3-D printing metal parts for airplanes.

cenpen

Post by cenpen » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:42 pm

It is experimental

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm going to assume you're talking model airplane - but need more information.
Is this a flying model?
If flying, electric or internal combustion?
How large are you aiming to print?
Are there weight limits?

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:43 pm

For RC use with no heat sources nearby then PLA is fine, warmer areas might need ABS, PET, or polycarbonate. Fairings don't undergo much stress, so any material is fine.

A better idea would be to use a 3d print to make a mold for nose, propellor, or control linkage fairings. I used to mold and sell carbon fiber fairings, fuselages, and parts for RC gliders and can vouch for this process as a superior process to printing.

It depends on why you are making them. For yourself, do whatever you like. For sale, then you may want to look into stronger final materials that are faster to produce, such as a molded part.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:44 pm

Even for a non-hot RC model I'd steer away from PLA because just a hot car can curl up PLA part.

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:01 pm

I would suggest nylon, polypropylene, or polycarbonate. The polycarbonate is tougher and harder to print well. The nylon can be dyed to almost any color, will survive lots of flexing and vibration. Polypropylene is most flexible, resists moisture best, and least dense. (Nylon = 1.14 vs. Polycarbonate = 1.2 vs. Polypropylene = 0.946). Prices vary, but all can be found for similar price.

What sort of experimental? I would like to build an RV-7 someday.

cenpen

Post by cenpen » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:21 pm

I guess I should have been more specific.. We are building a kit version of the Monocoupe Clip Wing.. Full size with a wooden wing and steel tube fuselage. Our goal is to get the body panels 3D printed as well as the fairings and wheel pants. The body we have been talking to Gigabot 3D printers and they can do in Carbon up to 36". The fairings and small parts we were going to try in house.. We also are producing a Warner radial engine (Yes full size) and want to make the intake pipes and maybe valve covers out of something that will hold up to 300 degrees.. Any suggestions?? It Is a niche project and we want to control the parts so we want to do them in house if possible.

Any help is much appreciated. Go to www.monocoupe.com to see the projects.

Thanks a bunch
-John

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:14 pm

cenpen wrote:something that will hold up to 300 degrees
That means the plastic's Tg (glass transition temperature) must be much higher than 300 °F = 150 °C to maintain the part's strength and shape under stress.

So none of the common 3D printable plastics will work: polycarbonate has a Tg around 300 °F and even Nylon 12 from Stratasys melts at 352 °F. Some nylon formulas have a high-enough Tg, but with a melting point far beyond the usual hot-end and extruder capabilities. An exotic filled nylon might work, if you could print it.

IMO the temperature rules out any material that consumer-grade 3D printers can handle…

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:17 pm

John,

I have been researching this exact issue for some time now. PM me, and we can talk on the phone.