Natural PLA transparency level.

The place to discuss filament...
Expresso

Natural PLA transparency level.

Post by Expresso » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Hello,

Could someone share pictures of parts printed using the MakerGear natural PLA color? I would like to get a feel for how transparent the PLA natural color is before buying a roll (assuming its transparent at all).

Assuming that the natural PLA has transparent properties, what are some parameters that affects the transparency level (layer height, layer thickness, infill percent etc)?

Thank you very much.

willnewton

Re: Natural PLA transparency level.

Post by willnewton » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:25 pm

It is not transparent, only some pure high temp polycarbonate filaments get close to clear, even then, only in thin layers.

MG filament prints as a translucent white. Some "clear" filaments have a cooler tone, some have a warmer tone.

It is more obvious when you look at the actual roll of the "transparent" filament that you can't see through it. It reminds me a bit of the milky-clear plastic gallon milk jugs.
Attachments
IMG_0208.JPG
warm clear
IMG_0208.JPG (137.34 KiB) Viewed 7670 times
IMG_0457.JPG
cool clear
IMG_0457.JPG (44.49 KiB) Viewed 7670 times
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Expresso

Post by Expresso » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:09 pm

I was hoping that the natural PLA color would be somewhat transparent but just looking at your pictures I can see that this is not the case at all.

Thank you.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:25 pm

Transparent/translucent actually doesn't work very well with deposited plastic, (at least in my opinion), because you can see the fill pattern inside. It tends to look striped. Thin wall vases are the only exception, and how many of those do you really need? :)