HIPS

The place to discuss filament...
Phil

HIPS

Post by Phil » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:03 am

Does anyone have any recommendations on using HIPS? I have tried it with PETG and Polypropylene with very mixed results. As of right now, all I can think, is that I am putting it on too thick and jamming the other nozzle on my dual. I have been trying to reduce the extrusion, but have yet to find the right combination.

insta

Re: HIPS

Post by insta » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 am

I print with it directly, as a primary material. It's a nice filament.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:32 am

It seemed to adhere well to PEI and itself, but also seems brittle. What are your applications for it? Do you use it for dissoluble support?

insta

Post by insta » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:10 pm

It's a bit brittle, but it's stiffer than ABS in my experience. I used it for small one-piece quadcopter frames. It didn't work as well as I wanted for dissolvable support, the chemical embrittled the ABS.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

econopotamus

Post by econopotamus » Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 am

Can you share what settings you used where it actually stuck to the ABS? I can build nice HIPS towers and nice ABS towers but running them together I can't get the HIPS to build on top of ABS for supports. I would love to know what temp, movement rate, retraction, etc that other people are using successfully.

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:18 pm

I have recently tried using HIPS as support material for ABS and PLA. You remove it, (dissolve it), using Limonene. Unfortunately, the limonene also softens ABS, so that does not work. It works really well with PLA, though. I had a long, small hole that I had to print in the horizontal. I put just a few drops of limonene into the hole, waited a few minutes, and the HIPS support pulled out easily and cleanly! You can use a little compressed air to get rid of the excess liquid. It smells nice, too.