Filaments in Your Filament

The place to discuss filament...
Brick Frog

Filaments in Your Filament

Post by Brick Frog » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:23 pm

Hello Group-

My prints from the last four spools that I have opened have contained these little jerks (see below). Is this a manufacturing issue or is this on my end? I have run through the filament path and cannot see where it is getting in. I buy from a well recommended source so I am a bit at a loss here. This is PETG by the way. These are narrow enough that they make it all the way to the heater block but large enough to clog the nozzle. I run at 247 Celsius so I should be melting most plastics but this one won't melt.

Anywho. I would appreciate any recommendations from you guys. If this is just how it is then fine, I can deal with that. If this is an error though I would very much like to correct it.

Thanks!

https://ibb.co/nL4Jqa

Phil

Re: Filaments in Your Filament

Post by Phil » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:43 pm

That definitely looks like a foreign object in your filament. I would suggest you send the picture, and maybe the object(s), to the manufacturer and demand an explanation.
Please let us know who the manufacturer is, so if it happens to anyone else here, we can confirm it.

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm curious about this too...

I had this happen once with PLA from Meltink (don't think they do PETG so probably not the same manufacturer as you) and the plastic piece was the same color as the filament I was running. It was the same thing though.... that little piece that clogged my nozzle wouldn't melt for anything. I haven't run that filament since so not sure if it will happen again but it does make you wonder what it is in there. :?

Brick Frog

Post by Brick Frog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:56 pm

I brought this up to the company I bought the filament from. They basically said thanks for letting us know and asked for the batch numbers. Took it about as seriously as I guess I would. I feel fairly content with that. Especially since I still don't know the root cause. Also, they compensated me on the off chance the product was to blame. Can't be too mad about that. :)

Anywho, I suppose I will update this if anything in the future warrants it.
Thanks guys.