High-temperature PLA

The place to discuss filament...
RolandW

High-temperature PLA

Post by RolandW » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:16 pm

I want to make a part that will be used in the basket of a coffee maker, so it has to withstand boiling water. Has anyone used 3DXTech's Ecomax HT High Temperature PLA? The description says up to 120C.

zemlin

Re: High-temperature PLA

Post by zemlin » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Not answering your question, but I have an insert I use in my Chemex pour-over which creates flutes down the side of the filter to increase the flow. I made it from clear eSun PETG printed in vase-mode, and it distorts a little with the temperature, but nothing that has prevented it from working out fine. I use water between 195 and 205. Most commercial coffee makers don't make it quite that high with the water temp.

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 pm

I do not know about that particular filament, but I definitely recommend the company; great products!
The owner is very easy to contact and talk to and has always been a great help to me.

RolandW

Post by RolandW » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Thank you all. I contacted 3DXTech, and Matt got right back to me. He doesn't think their HT PLA would be appropriate, and recommended PSU, PPSU, or PEI, none of which, I understand, are easily printable on my M2. I might submit the design for a quote from them, but I can't spend much since this is just a one-off for my personal use.

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm

These guys claim their stuff is dishwasher-safe and, I think, food grade, so it may work for you. https://www.makergeeks.com/collections/dishwasher-safe
I like their filament, and it is inexpensive.