esun epa question

The place to discuss filament...
airscapes

esun epa question

Post by airscapes » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:34 pm

I did do a search but saw no real answer.
Will EPA stick to the polyimide tape of the M2 Build plate, or does it need other things applied?
In general, regardless of filament type, when I see reference to glue stick and blue tape, hair spray, abs slurry etc, is this in place of the polymide tape or applied on top of it? I realize not all people use the polymide..

I was under the impression that everything stuck to a heated bead with the poly tape.. Is this yet another incorrect assumption from reading marketing info?
Forget the hairspray and ditch the blue painter's tape—it's time to print like a pro.
https://www.makergear.com/products/polyimide
Thanks!

zemlin

Re: esun epa question

Post by zemlin » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:03 pm

I haven only printed a few test parts with the ePA nylon. A highly-regarded build surface is linen-based phenolic sheet like Garolite LE. I tried PEI and Kapton with no success. I believe glue-stick is used with success with nylon, but I did not test that.

The Garolite LE worked very well - almost too well initially, but after a couple of prints it seemed to temper and release with less force.

I had an 1/8" thick sheet and laminated it to glass. At 80C bed temp there must have been too much expansion differential (and a good bond) because my glass cracked diagonally. I am now in the process of making beds with 1/16" phenolic over aluminum. The phenolic sheet typically has a pretty good curl to it so I don't think using it bare is an option.

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Markforged prints only in nylon, and they use a phenolic, unheated bed with Elmer's glue stick applied.

insta

Post by insta » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:31 pm

airscapes wrote:I did do a search but saw no real answer.
Will EPA stick to the polyimide tape of the M2 Build plate, or does it need other things applied?
In general, regardless of filament type, when I see reference to glue stick and blue tape, hair spray, abs slurry etc, is this in place of the polymide tape or applied on top of it? I realize not all people use the polymide..

I was under the impression that everything stuck to a heated bead with the poly tape.. Is this yet another incorrect assumption from reading marketing info?
Forget the hairspray and ditch the blue painter's tape—it's time to print like a pro.
https://www.makergear.com/products/polyimide
Thanks!
ePA adhesion is like a religion. Everybody's method is best and every other method is wrong.

MY personal method was a (new) sheet of window glass cut by a glasier, lightly roughed with 1000grit sandpaper, with a 3:1 tap water : elmers glue painted on with a foam brush while the bed was at 40C. This causes the water to steam off, and you keep brushing until the glue gets gummy. Then you wait until the glue turns clear, heat to 50C for a few minutes to "set" it, and done. Print very dry ePA (170F in a convection oven for hours) on the bed at 45C.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:54 pm

So, the glue.. you talking white elmers glue or this glue stick stuff https://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Washable- ... B000I6F8C6 ??

insta

Post by insta » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:03 pm

I personally just used dollar-store white Elmer's glue that you used to use in gradeschool to put glitter on potatoes or whatever.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:28 pm

I suspect most of the glue sticks are pretty much the same. Different ones have all worked for me. I encourage you to try until you find one that works.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:13 am

Phil wrote:I suspect most of the glue sticks are pretty much the same. Different ones have all worked for me. I encourage you to try until you find one that works.
can the glue be used on the polyimide tape of does it have to be on glass. Will it damage the tape? I would think not..

Phil

Post by Phil » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:45 pm

airscapes wrote:
Phil wrote:I suspect most of the glue sticks are pretty much the same. Different ones have all worked for me. I encourage you to try until you find one that works.
can the glue be used on the polyimide tape of does it have to be on glass. Will it damage the tape? I would think not..
Glue stick will not hurt polyimide.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:57 am

So is the Glue Stick used for ease or removal?? This eSun EPA sticks SO TIGHT it pulled up the Polyimide factory sheet.. Grrrrrrrrr Freezing was of no help, I guess since nylon does not shrink..

Anyone know if I can just flip the glass so the polyimide is down on the bead? That way I can use glue stick on the glass so as not to trash the tape once I redo the glass?