esun epa jamming up the drive

The place to discuss filament...
Gwhite

Re: esun epa jamming up the drive

Post by Gwhite » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 pm

One trick referenced in my filament drive thread is making an improved drive bearing arrangement with a groove in it to make sure the filament can't wander. It was used to provide reliable feed for a flexible (rubbery) filament. It's not a quick fix, and requires some machining.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3210&p=23537&hilit ... ing#p23535

The originator of the idea printed a new modified drive to accommodate the original bearing with a grooved sleeve added onto it. I found a smaller bearing, and I think I can duplicate the idea using the original drive housing, but I haven't had time to try it.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:11 pm

I will check that link out and maybe give it a go if I have the needed equipment.. Just now am setting up a .5 stainless nozzle to try out. Ran (use that term loosely) through the bed leveling process and am waiting for the bed to heat so I can get the initial height dialed in with ABS before I try the Nylon again. eSun said they will refund my money if I can not get it going.. Maybe it is a Drive issue but seems very odd how it will seemingly extrude fine for about 30mm or so then stop.. as if the nozzle got too cold for it to flow, stripping out the filament.. Then again.. if the stuff is walking to one side I can see how that would could do this.
Thanks
Doug

insta

Post by insta » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:44 pm

Less drive tension -- if you over-squish the filament trying to dig into it, you'll squeeze it into an oval and it will jam. Less tension and go slower :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:00 pm

insta wrote:Less drive tension -- if you over-squish the filament trying to dig into it, you'll squeeze it into an oval and it will jam. Less tension and go slower :)
Thanks! So when you say less tension .. back off from what i have set for 10-15% depth on ABS?
Slower you mean print speed .. what is slower.. 40mm/s or 20mm/s ?

Update.
Following you instructions I reduce the tension slightly and i am still not sure it is correct but I have been able to successfully print a solid test square .6mm thick (3 layers)
The square is .6mm thick and when I examine the bottom there are no gaps between the strands. However, if I bend the square the strands make cracking noises and do not seem to be fully fused.. (see photo) is this OK "Normal"? I nave tried 240, 245, 250,255, and 260. If I print at 260C there is no cracking but I am at the top of the heat range according to esun and not sure that is good either and I have a really hard time getting it off the bed, to the point or pulling the polyimide sheet.. At 245C with 4 outer walls, the outer walls actually completely separated from the infill center.
delaminating.jpg
The other question I have is about the leakage of plastic after printing.. is this just due to the .5mm nozzle size.. see photo Should I start the next print and not remove this it gets dragged into the print.
Image1856941162.jpg

insta

Post by insta » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Both of those are moisture. You need to bake the filament in a dehydrator for several hours before you use it, and load-and-start it while the filament is still warm. PA sucks compared to normal filaments you're used to.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 pm

insta wrote:Both of those are moisture. You need to bake the filament in a dehydrator for several hours before you use it, and load-and-start it while the filament is still warm. PA sucks compared to normal filaments you're used to.
That's what I figured! Most if not all my extrude issues was the tension being too tight and distorting the filament.
But man those parts are strong even with it wet! Will have to plan better I guess when I need something in nylon.. or is it better to just go with PETG for every day tough items that don't need to be nylon per say?

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:28 pm

Store your nylon in a plastic bucket with a desiccant. Even better, feed directly from the bucket using a John Gest fitting and tubing to get the filament to the printer.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 pm

Phil wrote:Store your nylon in a plastic bucket with a desiccant
and keep your desiccant dry.