PETG your favorite brand?

The place to discuss filament...
airscapes

PETG your favorite brand?

Post by airscapes » Sun May 20, 2018 9:49 pm

Looking to try some white PETG for mechanical part but would like to buy something that will work well.
I realize that every lot and even color can be different but for those how use a lot, what do you buy?
Thanks!

sthone

Re: PETG your favorite brand?

Post by sthone » Mon May 21, 2018 12:20 am

I use eSUN PETG and it works awesome. There is an entire thread on here too on what settings to use.

I usually get it on Amazon from INTSERVO but you can get it direct to https://www.intservo.com (Will is a great guy to deal with.)

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Mon May 21, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks, I have the eSun EPA which I don't seem to be able to print.. can't seem to get the drive tension correct.. I also am half way through a spool or eSun PLA + which seem ok, but I think I like the stuff MakerGear sells a little better, at least the White MG.. the Black I don't like much at all.

What size nozzle do you use with the PETG.. I guessing it won't run well through a .25 nozzle, as it would be nice to use something stronger for miniatures.. I have read it is kind of stringy that would be bad on the tiny stuff.. I am not buying for that purpose, just wondering..

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Sthone, do you see any differences with different colors of eSun PETG? My choices in preference are White Black or Grey ..
Did read first post in the setting thread, it is reposted on the esun site. Being it was a few years ago, just wondered which color was the most reliable and easiest to dial in.
Thanks!

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Tue May 22, 2018 3:01 pm

I've used up most of a spool of HatchBox PETG in White. It was the first non-PLA I tried, so I had a bit of a learning curve. Once I got it all dialed in, it worked fine. One big step was using hairspray on the back side of the glass build plate. That gave me good adhesion, but the prints pop right off when they've cooled.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Tue May 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Good to know, I was planning on using glue stick on an extra glass plate as that worked well with EPA, as it could be removed with water.. which I guess is not good for the ePA but it did make removing it simple :D I assume hair spray would work the same..

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Wed May 23, 2018 3:17 am

I tried glue stick as well, and it was too sticky. I had a hell of a time getting my prints loose. I forget if it was on the glass or the kapton side.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed May 23, 2018 3:56 am

Gwhite wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:17 am
I tried glue stick as well, and it was too sticky. I had a hell of a time getting my prints loose. I forget if it was on the glass or the kapton side.
I used it with the EPA, I just took the glass to the sink and ran water on it and the glue and print comes right off..
ordered some eSun white PETG today, will post how it goes..

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed May 30, 2018 3:37 pm

I like Hatchbox PETG, but they have serious supply problems and can be out of stock at all suppliers for weeks.
I went through a few PETG brands a couple months back. I tested eSun, 3D Best, Inland, and MG Chemicals - all in black.
I selected MG Chemicals as my new standard for PETG. It isn't as glossy as some, had excellent build strength, and the least issue with perimeter layer bonding of all the PETG materials I've tried.

The only thing with MG is I've received two different spool designs from them - one is a standard plastic spool, the other is primarily cardboard with plastic inserts. I like the idea of the cardboard spool, but the bore is quite small and it's wider/smaller than standard spools so doesn't fit many spool holders. I don't print on MG anymore, so I don't know if it will be an issue on the MG spool holder.

I print on PEI.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed May 30, 2018 5:00 pm

I have had good luck with MakerGeeks PETG, and you cannot beat the price. https://www.makergeeks.com/collections/petg-filament