Anyone Try Polymaker PC-Max?

The place to discuss filament...
Gwhite

Anyone Try Polymaker PC-Max?

Post by Gwhite » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:37 pm

I want to print some filament drives, and bought some eSun ePC in black. However, Zemlin has posted that he's had a lot of problems with the black version, although the clear/natural works fine. I figure if Zemlin can't get it to behave, I'm not going to waste my time on it.

I was going to get a spool of the eSun ePC in clear, but I noticed that Amazon now has Polymaker PC-Max in black, which has gotten lots of good reviews.

Has anyone tried it, and if so, how did it work for you?

Thanks!

airscapes

Re: Anyone Try Polymaker PC-Max?

Post by airscapes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Gwhite wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:37 pm
I want to print some filament drives, and bought some eSun ePC in black. However, Zemlin has posted that he's had a lot of problems with the black version, although the clear/natural works fine. I figure if Zemlin can't get it to behave, I'm not going to waste my time on it.

I was going to get a spool of the eSun ePC in clear, but I noticed that Amazon now has Polymaker PC-Max in black, which has gotten lots of good reviews.

Has anyone tried it, and if so, how did it work for you?

Thanks!
How do you know that Zemlin didn't just get a bad roll? Print something, you bought it, try it! :D
If you are not going to use it, send it to me, I will try it out!

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 pm

Of all the users on the forum, I trust that if Zemlin got a bad roll, he would have figured that out & done something about it. I may still experiment with it later, but I don't have time to screw around with suspect filament at the moment.

An Amazon reviewer had strength issues with the black ePC as well:

"I had high hopes for printing in polycarbonate for its impact resistance and durability. eSun filament is generally pretty good stuff, but this is a disappointment. After trying temperatures from 250-280 celsius, this stuff is super brittle. Most of the smaller parts I've printed with it are just too weak. You can generally break these parts with your hands much easier than PETG and ABS."

Hardly conclusive, but I don't have time to mess with it.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:21 pm

Gwhite wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:43 pm
Of all the users on the forum, I trust that if Zemlin got a bad roll, he would have figured that out & done something about it. I may still experiment with it later, but I don't have time to screw around with suspect filament at the moment.

An Amazon reviewer had strength issues with the black ePC as well:

"I had high hopes for printing in polycarbonate for its impact resistance and durability. eSun filament is generally pretty good stuff, but this is a disappointment. After trying temperatures from 250-280 celsius, this stuff is super brittle. Most of the smaller parts I've printed with it are just too weak. You can generally break these parts with your hands much easier than PETG and ABS."

Hardly conclusive, but I don't have time to mess with it.
Well that is different, sounded like you didn't even bother to open it, so you have tested it and it is not what they claim!

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:05 am

That second comment was from an Amazon reviewer, not me. I have NOT opened mine. I'm still working on finishing my enclosure in the hopes that will help with whatever flavor of PC I end up using.

One reviewer of the Polymaker PC-Max stuff who really liked it has a heated enclosure. It will be some time before i go that far, but at least I can keep wayward breezes off the print with a box.

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:25 am

I would suggest getting lift off hinges for the doors.. My front door was always in the way.. finally replaced the hinges and it is off when not printing filament that needs to be enclosed

There are left and right handed so make sure you order the right ones if you should decide to use them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GK ... UTF8&psc=1

When I print something large in abs my enclosure has gotten up to about 108F I normally just open the top an inch once it is over 100.
enclosure.jpg