Dual extruder frog

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Tim

Re: Dual extruder frog

Post by Tim » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:15 pm

Jin,

Did you print your frog in PLA or in ABS?

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Only PLA so far. I tend to keep PLA loaded because the time heat the bed to 60C is much less than the time to 100C.

Maybe I did turn on support, now I'm not sure. Looking at it the model, I must have.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:42 pm

Levi8than wrote:Add a cap of some sort on the nozzle
The early nozzle valve patents recently expired, so we can expect the first implementations from The Major Players by next year. [grin]

The trick will be maintaining nozzle positioning accuracy without weighing down the extruder carriage...

Levi8than

Post by Levi8than » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:44 pm

ednisley wrote:
Levi8than wrote:Add a cap of some sort on the nozzle
The early nozzle valve patents recently expired, so we can expect the first implementations from The Major Players by next year. [grin]
The trick will be maintaining nozzle positioning accuracy without weighing down the extruder carriage...
I know I SHOULD start a new thread and stop posting on this frog thread... but I'm a bad person.

I wonder if I can just grind down the end of some straight .014 or .016 music wire to a point. Then feed it down the hot end tub alongside the filament being melted. An cheapo 8 pin atmel could detect the polarity on the stepper motor drive to know whether it's turning forward or backward and trip a solenoid to push the wire down to plug the hole from the inside. This act will definitely extrude a small amount, requiring a wipe right then and then another wipe after starting the flow... but that seems like a small price to pay.

If I get some time, and some striaght music wire that can take the heat, maybe I'll give this a try.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:01 pm

please start a new thread in the Modifications section.

hybridprinter

Post by hybridprinter » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:21 am

That is a really neat looking frog model wow. Have you tried doing it with NinjaFlex and ABS/PLA?

Tim

Post by Tim » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:21 am

(1) I think each part by itself is too rigid for a NinjaFlex hybrid to be practical. I think that regardless of which part you choose to do in NinjaFlex, the whole thing will remain basically rigid, which makes the use of NinjaFlex sort of pointless.

(2) NinjaFlex is hard enough to work with as it is, not to throw it into a torture test like this. . .