Dual Extruder Firmware with VIKI LCD Panel

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
fmeroney

Re: Dual Extruder Firmware with VIKI LCD Panel

Post by fmeroney » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:53 pm

FYI, this was due to operator error. Need to make sure the plugs are correct before you post about how things are not working...

sorry all.
fmeroney wrote:Works great but my extrude and case fan are not turning on... Any ideas? Works when i have the stock dual firmware. Also, do the jerk rates seem high?
dsmith wrote:It's fixed! Thanks to insta and jsc! I modified the firmware and now the extruders are both valid and heat as they should. I am using Simplify3D with the Viki LCD on my machines and this is perfect. Soooo, IF YOU HAVE THE VIKI LCD, install and wire the duals as MakerGear instructs, download and install the Rambo USB driver (if you have a windows machine) so the computer will recognize the printer in COM3, download the latest Arduino (1.6.4) and install it, download and unzip the attached LCD Firmware file to some folder you create. Connect your printer to your computer and install the Rambo driver (if you have not already). Once installed, open Arduino. In the Arduino program, hit the "tools" dropdown and change the board to "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560" and make sure the COM3 port is selected (your printer's port). Go to the "file" menu in Arduino, select open and find the marlin.ico file buried in the marlin folder in the attached .zip file you just downloaded. Once selected, with your printer powered up and connected to your computer, press the upload button (looks like an arrow pointing right in a circle). A few things happen and it takes a couple of minutes. Once the upload is complete, start Simplify3d and go to the control panel. Click the communication tab. You will need to set the baud rate in Simplify to 250000 and hit connect again and then it will communicate (thanks jsc). So far all is good. Can't say enough great things about everyone who posts ideas and solutions on this forum!
Regards,
-Don
RAMBo_USBdriver.zip
M2_LCD_Firmware_24Vw24Vheater_-_Dual-2015-04-06.zip
*EDIT: Replaced the firmware file... Had to adjust pins.h so the second extruder would extrude and changed the config so it would extrude in the right direction. Then, (and here's the most important part), I tested it! Everything worked... the 31.1 offset was right on the nose. Pics will come soon (in another topic). -Don

fmeroney

Post by fmeroney » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:55 pm

@Don

Yeah i mixed up the extruder fan & bed fan on re-install.... STUPID!

dsmith wrote:@fmeroney: Not sure about the fans... Try pushing the reset button and see what happens? Perhaps, reinstall the firmware after pushing the reset button? I doubt it's the wiring... As far as the jerk rates and accel, I've never messed with them. If I see too much ghosting I just slow down the print speed. I like the higher rates because ninjaflex seems to print better with faster moves.
-Don

Memnarch1113

Post by Memnarch1113 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:12 pm

Hey guys! Thanks for all of your work. I just flashed your firmware (with arduino 1.6.5 and 1.5.5) and everything works except for my z axis. When I move it down (positive z) it moves fine. When I try to bring it back up the z axis stutters and groans, and sinks back down. This happens both from Simplify3D and the LCD. There doesn't seem to be any resistance when I turn the z threaded rod manually, and the wiring for the motor seems fine. Any ideas? Thanks again!

EDIT: I think it's a hardware problem. Unless you guys have any ideas, I'm probably going to contact MG support.

Levi8than

Post by Levi8than » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Thanks for sharing this. I just got around to upgrading the viki to work with dual filament now.

RE: Memnarch1113
I don't think it's a hardware problem. Mine is behaving that way too.
But I've noticed that if I home the Z access before I try to jog it, then it does hold its value.

This behavior is odd, because previously jogging one motor would enable just that motor. Now with this version of the SW, it's all or nothing.

I can fix the code for my purposes:
M17: Enable/Power all stepper motors

I guess it make sense to just drop an M17 before any jog operation?
But that's not the behavior we had previously.... any ideas?

Levi8than

Post by Levi8than » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:54 pm

I think this has been discussed on the forum, but not for this particular Marlin fork.
My X axis is shifing mid-print. This design was expected to print straight vertical.

I need to debug this.
Attachments
missedXsteps.png