6mm offset belt clamp with striker

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
sprior

6mm offset belt clamp with striker

Post by sprior » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:03 pm

Last night I took the stock design for the "belt clamp with striker" and gave it an offset of 5mm. With the stock design you end up with the X home about 5mm off the left edge of the bed, my modification should bring it back to line up with the left edge of the bed. I uploaded it to Thingiverse here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:506384

Hopefully I'll get it installed today.
Last edited by sprior on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprior

Re: 5mm offset belt clamp with striker

Post by sprior » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:39 pm

I printed and installed it, then decided that since I'm in super picky mode 6mm would be better, so I'm printing a new one.

I managed to install it without futzing with the black shield/wiring harness on the back of the stepper motors by removing the screws that fasten the motors to the bracket and slipping the motors off the mount. Then I loosened the 4 clamp mounting screws and took the old belt clamp off. Then off the machine I reinstalled the screws and nuts and then put a piece of tape over the nuts and pressed them in place. Then I put the clamp on and used a thin piece of metal to press the clamp up while I installed the screws, then carefully removed the tape. From there reassembling the machine took about 10 minutes.

markb

Re: 5mm offset belt clamp with striker

Post by markb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Thanks for making this.
I made it I used the tape trick and used a business card to make up the height to get it put together.
Nice improvement.