v4 Status

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
rpollack

Re: v4 Status

Post by rpollack » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:30 pm

We'll have smaller bits available on the site.

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:34 am

I will move it down a bit after my current printing and reset my Z. I do like the print quality, however I have not been printing as long as others.

geddski

Post by geddski » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:31 am

So I just got my M2 a month ago and noticed the v4 extruder is available. Is it pretty easy to upgrade? Also is it compatible with the dual extruder component? Or does the dual extruder include a v4 as well? Thanks.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:39 am

the dual extruder setup for the m2 is a v4. as for upgrading, the mechanical looks pretty easy. i dont know what else is involved. one of the members here that has done it can chime in on that

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:48 am

The dual upgrade was straightforward. If you built the M2 as a kit, you won't have any real problems. I imagine going to a V4 single would be easier. Even if you bought yours assembled, as long as you have some mechanical inclination, you'll be fine. There are plenty of posts here going into some detail on upgrades. I say go for it :)

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:53 am

Hey Jim, I just noticed...I joined 3 hours and 43 minutes after you did, and you are 1100+ posts ahead of me? Damn man, I am slacking lol :P

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:55 am

no your doing just fine. that means i need to get away from this damn computer every night.. :lol:

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:13 pm

geddski wrote:So I just got my M2 a month ago and noticed the v4 extruder is available. Is it pretty easy to upgrade? Also is it compatible with the dual extruder component? Or does the dual extruder include a v4 as well? Thanks.
The V4 upgrade is pretty straight forward to install. I did a quick write up on it seen Here.

I bought the V4 because I wanted different hotends for different materials to avoid clogging issues. (plus its new so it's gotta be better :lol:) I originally thought it was just going to be basically... unbolt the V3B off the motor and pop on the V4 setup, but it's a little more in depth than that as it has a whole new mounting system so swapping between the 3Vb and V4 wasn't going to work.

Come to find out the great part about the V4 is if you buy a spare hotend and want to change them out to run different materials it takes less than a minute to swap just the hotend out as its mounted with just one screw (readjusting the z-stop might take another min or so) but its so easy now and I'm so glad I bought it just for this feature. I haven't explored it too much yet but I believe you can probably get away without running the extruder fan on the V4 too (don't quote me on this yet) which would make running the printer quieter. (not that it's that loud anyway)

I haven't really changed any of my settings from the V3B besides a little more retraction maybe.

I don't have one but the dual extruder kit is basically two V4's and looking at the Upgrades page it does look like there will be a Duel Extruder Upgrade (from the single V4) option in the future.

Overall.... if your just starting out and the V3B is working for you fine do you need the V4, NO, is it cool, YES. If you think your going to go with the duel extruder option in the future you may just want to wait before going with the single V4. I'm not sure if the price will be more if you buy the single V4 first then converting to the duel as I haven't seen the price breakdown for the different options yet. Then again if your one of those people (like me) who just likes to upgrade to bigger, better, stronger because we can... by all means go for it... its worth it. :D

-Steve

insta

Post by insta » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:25 pm

sthone wrote:
geddski wrote:So I just got my M2 a month ago and noticed the v4 extruder is available. Is it pretty easy to upgrade? Also is it compatible with the dual extruder component? Or does the dual extruder include a v4 as well? Thanks.
Come to find out the great part about the V4 is if you buy a spare hotend and want to change them out to run different materials it takes less than a minute to swap just the hotend out as its mounted with just one screw (readjusting the z-stop might take another min or so) but its so easy now and I'm so glad I bought it just for this feature. I haven't explored it too much yet but I believe you can probably get away without running the extruder fan on the V4 too (don't quote me on this yet) which would make running the printer quieter. (not that it's that loud anyway)
-Steve
Er, the v4 more or less obsoletes the adjustable Z-endstop entirely. Certainly don't adjust it when swapping nozzles.

Remove the filament from the hotend, loosen the screw so the hotend is loose in the holder, shove it way up into the holder, then home your Z axis with the print head centered. Heat the hotend, then poke the top of the heater block with your M3 driver to let the nozzle fall the quarter inch to the bed. Tighten the clamping screw up again, and you're perfectly Z'ed out :)
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm

OMG :shock: How easy is that.. I never thought about that. (I think you just paid for that hot end with this tip ;))

Would I use a feeler gauge between the bed and the nozzle when dropping it back down to the bed though?

-Steve