v4 Status

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
insta

Re: v4 Status

Post by insta » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:18 pm

Yep, use whatever spacer you want when resetting the tip down, just set the tip down gently so there's no compression of anything :)

That technique is also what you do with the dual v4's when levelling them for dual-extrusion prints.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:53 pm

sthone wrote:OMG :shock: How easy is that.. I never thought about that. (I think you just paid for that hot end with this tip ;))

Would I use a feeler gauge between the bed and the nozzle when dropping it back down to the bed though?

-Steve
Yes, that's what I did as well, and it worked great. Everything up to temp and a metal feeler gauge.

nokianich

Post by nokianich » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:56 pm

How to buy V4? I can not find it on makergear.com in Hot-end section

insta

Post by insta » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:24 pm

geddski

Post by geddski » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:05 am

Do you need the dual extruder in order to print supports (generated in Simplify3d)? Or can the single do it? Also, what are the other advantages of having a dual extruder?

Levi8than

Post by Levi8than » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:12 am

geddski wrote:Do you need the dual extruder in order to print supports (generated in Simplify3d)? Or can the single do it? Also, what are the other advantages of having a dual extruder?
You can print supports with a single extruder. Simplify3d makes some of the best supports on the m2. Most slicer generated supports are a pain to remove, but s3d generated supports snap off of the finished design. It's great.

The second extruder can be used to run a second color for 2 color prints. It can also be used to run a second material. Allowing you to use a more expensive material for the outer perimeters and a cheaper material for the infill.

For supports that don't snap off as easily, you can run a dissolvable filament as your second extruder.

I haven't seen anybody try yet, but I expect flexible prints such as ninjaflex are going to be supported by pla to make otherwise impossible prints.

But mostly, having a second extruder is just another way to tinker.

sprior

Post by sprior » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:46 pm

I did a small dual extrusion test with a base object printed in ABS with a letter printed in NinjaFlex attached on top of the ABS and found that to work quite well and the bond between the two was strong. An obvious basic use would be to print rubber stamps, but I'm excited about printing objects which have flexible and rigid areas of a single object. Dual extrusion is WAY more difficult that single, so I play with it occasionally and then take breaks when I get frustrated.

geddski

Post by geddski » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:07 am

cool good to know, thanks for the replies. Maybe since I'm new to this I'll go with the single v4 upgrade for now. Thanks!

ericfowkes

Post by ericfowkes » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:28 am

Can somebody help me problem solve my v4 extruder? Just finished the upgrade but I can't get a successful print! I have the marlin and s3d settings the same as the v3b but for some reason it looks as though twice the amount of filament is coming out...:( not sure what to do . Messed with the extrusion multiplier and that failed. Tempature changes didn't work either.
Attachments
image.jpg
(974.28 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
image.jpg
(1.08 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
image.jpg
(1006.06 KiB) Downloaded 297 times

insta

Post by insta » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Do you have the yellow-polyfuse RAMBo? If so, you are extruding twice the filament :) Set your E steps/mm to half its value.