v4 Status

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
insta

Re: v4 Status

Post by insta » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:24 pm

kyphur wrote:Ah, I have yet to see the V4 and still consider myself a n00b on a lot of levels with 3D printing.
It was a good idea, don't worry about it. The v4 is a lot smaller than you might think (the entire hotend is maybe the size of the last segment of my index finger), and there's a lot of stuff in the way around there which would make wire clamps impractical. I'm in sprior's camp, mine behaved once I brought it up to temp and the wires heatsoaked slightly.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

TomR

Post by TomR » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have been following this forum and am new to 3D printing. My question for all you experienced makers is I am going to buy the M2 but have been waiting for the V4 extruder. If I buy it now, with I assume the VB3 extruder, how hard will it be to replace it with the V4 when it is finally released? I plan on learning with PLA and then experimenting with different filaments

Thanks for all the information that this forum provides!!

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:02 am

V3B is a proven hot end that's printed a good 40-50 pounds of filament for me.
This hot end can be rebuilt back to brand new for about 20 bucks with a new barrel and tip.
I'm pushing 500 successful builds with this hot end and any problems caused were ALL filament driven.

V3B printing PLA? super-super easy. ABS ...a little touchy, but it can be done. PET+ with jimc's
settings is a piece of cake. ABS is very shrink prone and the V4 is not going to cure that.

I'm a fan of the V3B and see no need to upgrade, but we have very advanced members
pushing the boundaries who see the need for V4 more of a necessity than I do.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

kyphur

Post by kyphur » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:00 pm

I've printed some nice PET in clear for a couple of pieces with the V3B hotend. First print was a test using the FFF file from the PET manufacturer's site but the room I'm in is exceptionally cold when compared to the rest of the house. I ended up having to raise the temp to about 220 - 222 and the bed up by 1* from what was in the FFF file and had a number of successful prints from then on.

I have a friend that bought a delta style printer from a start up and has had it for about a month or so now. Problems right out of the gate with it and has had only one or two successful prints. Some of the problems out of the gate were poor quality glass not being level, poor quality PLA sent with the product, etc. My M2 was good to go from the first print.

TomR

Post by TomR » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks for all your comments. My M2 is ordered and shipping date is Dec18th. Hoping for it to be under the tree in time for Christmas:). After reading all the comments it looks like when I get proficient in printing, Pet+ or PetG will be my go to filament.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Are there any pictures out there of the current version of the hot end? I remember seeing some awhile ago, but not sure if the dual or single V4's have changed since then?

insta

Post by insta » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:35 pm

The new nozzles look nothing like the picture posted awhile ago. The v4 hotends are tiny -- about the size of the last segment on your thumb including the heater and nozzle itself. The duals clamp into a machined metal holder.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Is it OK for any of the V4 guys to post pictures of their hot ends or is the design still proprietary? I still have a V3A on mine and am looking into the 24V upgrade. Not sure if I just get the V3B or go with the V4. Since I primarily print PLA, maybe stick with the V3B and wait for the V4 teflon?

insta

Post by insta » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:49 pm

I don't see why we couldn't post pictures. Perhaps not technical drawings with cross-sections and micrometer measurements, but a picture isn't going to hurt anything. (If I remember) I'll post some when I get home. I already have a picture farther back in the dual extruder forum here of mine with a bent nozzle (which was since fixed) that shows the hotends nicely.

edit: here is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1597 It was a freak happenstance, hasn't happened since then, and MG quickly got a replacement nozzle in the mail for me no questions asked.

sprior

Post by sprior » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:36 pm

I remember when the first dual extruder upgrades came out Rick asked not to post pictures or links to the instructions. I'm not sure if that's still in effect or not - any word on this from Rick?