Dual Extruder offset instructions wrong?

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Greybear

Dual Extruder offset instructions wrong?

Post by Greybear » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:52 am

Hi all,

Just finished installing my dual extruder. It's been sitting in the corner while I did other stuff since August... ahem.

Anyway, the install was a breeze. The guide was very well done, and once I figured out that I plugged in EXT1 backwards, my second extruder actually extruded.

I grabbed the mydual test print and printed it up. The boxes were a l;ittle overlapped, so I adjusted the extruder settings in Configuration.h. This is where things got interesting. The dual extruder wiki states:
To adjust the X offset, you'll use "M218 T1 Xn" where n is your offset. The default value in the dual firmware is 31.1, which should be pretty close. A positive adjustment (n+0.5 for instance) will move the L shaped "bottom" print left in relation to the "top" box 0.5mm. The box will not shift. A negative adjustment will move the L shaped print right in relation to the box.

To adjust the Y offset, you'll use "M218 T1 Yn" again with n as your offset. The default value in the dual firmware is 0, which again should be pretty close. A positive adjustment of n+0.5 will "lower" (if looking at the print from directly above) the L shaped print in relation to the box. A negative adjustment will move the L shaped print "upward" in relation to the box.
So, I added .1 to each setting. That should have moved the L shaped box left and down. It was hard to be sure, but it looked like it had the opposite effect. Just to be sure, I changed the offset by a whole mm and reprinted. Sure enough, it was overlapped significantly. So, I reversed the offset, and voila! Perfect print.

Am I the only one, or is the wiki wrong? If so, it might help the next newbie if that gets changed.

Thanks again for a great upgrade to an already great printer!

GB

Tim

Re: Dual Extruder offset instructions wrong?

Post by Tim » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 am

Mine was dead-on perfect at (31.1, 0), so I never made any adjustments. I'd say that your experiment was proof enough.