Help with V4 dual extruder

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
mharter

Help with V4 dual extruder

Post by mharter » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:59 pm

I have everything installed. I am using Simplify 3D. Left is extruder 1, right is extruder 0 in the machine control pannel (ctrl +P). MakerGear directions label the left as 0 and the right as 1, opposite of what S3D labels it as. I updated the configuration to the Dual Extruder configuration. The issue I am having is that the right extruder (extruder 1) doesn't seem to be recognized. When I switch the tool head to extruder 0 in the machine control panel, it doesn't set the heat for the extruder head. I have absolutely no clue what to do. Looking for the brains in the forum for some advice on what may be the issue.

All responses are greatly appreciated!

Edit: spelling

Edit 2: In the communication logs, it says "Invalid Extruder" I think I have my extruder reversed. Tool 1, which would be the left extruder is giving this error. No matter which extruder I choose, the left one always heats up. Even with the error. Weird.

Edit 3: It turns out that MakerGear labels the left extruder as 0 and the right as 1. Simplify3D makes 1 the left and 0 the right. Very confusing. It seems that the software isn't recognizing the second extruder. No matter which I select, the left one always heats up. I am beyond frustrated right now. @rpollak Is the V4 dual not compatible with Simplify3D?

I have a support ticket into S3D as well as MakerGear to see if I can get this figured out. But I am completely baffled right now. The wiring is 100% correct to the directions. I even rebuilt it again to ensure the wiring matched...and it is correct. So it leads me to believe there is an issue with the software. I deleted that and reinstalled it as well, but no luck. Just dead in the water till support gets back to me.

mharter

Re: Help with V4 dual extruder

Post by mharter » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:00 pm

Got it figured out. Had to update the firmware. Had to download the Ardunio IDE and update the firmware through that. S3D still seems to label the extruders different that what MakerGear does. MG labels the left extruder as 1 and the right extruder as 0. S3D does the opposite.

http://makergear.wikidot.com/dual

mharter

Post by mharter » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:38 pm

Now I am having issues with Simplfy3D. MakerGear labels the left extruder as extruder 0 and the right extruder as extruder 1. S3D does the exact opposite and I have no clue why. I am thinking of reversing the wiring so it is in line with S3D. I am also having issues with the extruder stopping extruding a couple of layers up. This has been a very frustrating process. Not sure why it is not playing nice with S3D and why a software that is set up to play nice with MakerGear has the complete opposite extruder setup that MG does. I am complete baffled. Printer dead in the water.

Gonna try switching the wiring on the extruders so they at least match S3D and I will give it a try this evening. If this doesn't work, I am back to being completely lost. I will update if this works out.

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:16 pm

My left extruder is tool 0 in Simplify3D. Perhaps you have your wires crossed up? In any case, I don't think it matters. Just remember which is which for the purposes of g-code. Hm, now that I think of it, it may matter, as the firmware knows the offset between the heads, and if you have them backwards that offset will be of the opposite sign. Check your wiring: the wires that go to the left extruder should go into the Ext 0 connector.

Your other problem sounds like a standard failure to feed. What temperature are you running? I use 225 for PLA, although lower temperatures are helpful to reduce oozing. Try 225, then reduce by 5 degree increments until you start having problems.

brtaylor

Post by brtaylor » Wed May 06, 2015 6:51 pm

I'm having this same issue (extruder names switched in Simplify 3D), is there any resolution? Right now I can "trick" Simplify 3D to print on the MakerGear Head 1 by making Simplify 3D think it's printing on Head 0, but I'm not able to get MakerGear Head 0 to print at all using S3D (looks like it's not able to control the temperature of it when I try that same "trick" on the other head). Prints and controls temperatures fine in jog mode, just not running G code.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed May 06, 2015 10:47 pm

Did you add another extruder temperature controller in the Temperature tab of your profile? T0 and T1 for the extruders, T2 for the bed. Trace the wiring and verify that the wires coming off the left extruder are ending up at the HEAT0/FAN0 headers (leftmost two) on the RAMBo and the ones from the right are going to HEAT1/FAN1.

dsmith

Post by dsmith » Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 am

So here's what I'm seeing regarding the invalid extruder, maybe this helps... I uploaded the most current firmware from the MakerGear link (not the Viki supported firmware from insta) and everything heated and worked like a charm. Then I uploaded the "hacked-up" firmware that insta had posted and changed the baud rate per recommendation from jsc so Simplify would communicate with the computer. It appears that the firmware used by insta to create the Viki LCD support was an earlier build? Not sure but I get the "invalid extruder" with insta's version and all is ok with the makergear version so I'm guessing it's not a wiring problem in this case.
-Don
MAJ (Ret.) Don Smith
Owner and CEO
3D Simulations, Inc.
http://www.3DSimulationsInc.com

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu May 07, 2015 1:40 am

The firmware must be configured to support dual extruders, it doesn't come that way by default. I think insta's Viki firmware is actually the very latest version of Marlin, but has he ever indicated that it's built for dual extrusion? If not, "there's yer problem".

dsmith

Post by dsmith » Thu May 07, 2015 1:47 am

I also added the temperature controller for T1 to see if that was a solution (per jsc's note)... It was not... I'll look at the firmware insta used and see if I can identify any differences and perhaps resolve the conflict...
-Don
MAJ (Ret.) Don Smith
Owner and CEO
3D Simulations, Inc.
http://www.3DSimulationsInc.com

insta

Post by insta » Thu May 07, 2015 2:42 pm

dsmith wrote:I also added the temperature controller for T1 to see if that was a solution (per jsc's note)... It was not... I'll look at the firmware insta used and see if I can identify any differences and perhaps resolve the conflict...
-Don
Hmm, my version was the exact version MakerGear posts for the duals, theirs just doesn't support Viki very well, and that's where my changes are.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org