HIPS dissolvable support test

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Slipshine

Re: HIPS dissolvable support test

Post by Slipshine » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:45 pm

I wonder what effect it would have if you printed a raft with the HIPS and then tried to print with the nylon on top of it.

It could possibly be a solution to getting various materials to stick to the bed. Might even work for the "New un named plastic that

someone was talking about.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:29 pm

Slipshine wrote:I wonder what effect it would have if you printed a raft with the HIPS and then tried to print with the nylon on top of it.

It could possibly be a solution to getting various materials to stick to the bed. Might even work for the "New un named plastic that

someone was talking about.
I doubt Nylon sticks to HIPS, they're completely different polymer chains.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:19 pm

Here's the result of the latest print. Not much improvement on bottom surface quality. I guess the print itself was easier to accomplish than when I did it without the dual extruders, though. The model has some serious overhangs and requires support in hard-to-remove areas. With zero separation, there are no overhang issues, and you can put support anywhere you want.
Attachments
knots.jpg
(228.35 KiB) Downloaded 226 times

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:41 pm

insta wrote:I doubt Nylon sticks to HIPS, they're completely different polymer chains.
I was thinking more of a open mesh texture that you could force the first nylon layer in to.

I have no problem cleaning it up after the hips is dissolved. Im just tired of it coming loose.

If I didn't have a roll that I only used 3 feet of I probably wouldn't care. I should just donate it
but their in no one I am that mad at.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Nylon or HIPS? I'll take it, I love jamming printers with random plastic :D
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:50 pm

You can improvise a raft by printing a thin surface, then switching out filament and starting your real print one layer thickness up (move the model up into the air).