Dual all-metal clog

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
jsc

Dual all-metal clog

Post by jsc » Sat May 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Just had a nasty right extruder clog with PETG. I think I understand a little better what is happening: the clog is happening at the top, not at the nozzle. Seems like the heat creeps up the tube, and if you let the filament sit too long with it hot, it gets deformed and won't feed.

jimc

Re: Dual all-metal clog

Post by jimc » Sat May 02, 2015 11:02 pm

well on the e3d anyway this will happen as well if the hotend fan isnt on. occasionally i will forget to switch my process from m108 s155 to s255 on the new machine and the fan wont come on. of course i dont notice until it starts air printing. in any case yes the heat creeps up so the melt zone is up real high in the filament path and it just wont extrude. if this happens your first instinct is to turn the extruder heat off but dont do it. let it stay on and get the filament out of it first. retract it or whatever. if you let it cool down it will just solidify and lock up in the hot end. once its out turn the heat off.

rsilvers

Re: Dual all-metal clog

Post by rsilvers » Sun May 03, 2015 1:52 am

Metal hot ends need a fan on the extruder. We are going to see a lot of this over the summer.