Shifting Layers with Dual Extruder

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
TourniquetRules

Shifting Layers with Dual Extruder

Post by TourniquetRules » Sat May 30, 2015 1:05 am

Ever since upgrading to the M2 Dual Extruder I have had a problem with shifting layers. I assume it is because at times I can hear the print make a loud noise and even visibly shake. I used to have the problem when I printed with a V3b .75 nozzle and a .6 layer. The nozzle would smack into the print when moving around the bed. This time I can't see that it strikes anything. All the axes move freely. The Z axis "sticks" a bit and won't naturally fall down. It does seem to move normally. I had a another Makergear M2 owner come over and "rehab" my machine so it was working smoothly. It did for many prints and then started with the "clunk" noise and shifting layers. Some objects have the problem every time just not necessarily at the same level. Some objects print fine. Notably single wall objects like the dual extruder calibration box that Makergear supplies printed fine after the installation. i didn't have to change any settings. The single walled calibration box that you can print to check wall thickness, etc and change your multiplier prints fine too. I don't have a profile named Makergear M2 V4 hotend with Simplify 3D 2.22. It is configured for the M2 Dual Extruder. I have added the Z lift or retract but that didn't change a thing. Most recently I printed a calibration box and the printer jumped before printing on the bed. It went to the edge to purge or prime the hot end and then as it moved to center of the bed I heard the noise and saw it shake. The noise I am hearing is typically when it moves a great distance along the Y axis but I suppose it could be the X also. The small object below prints okay but when it moves from the feet up front to the tail at the back it makes the sound or jumps. I assume this is how it is getting off track and shifting layers. I have changed the z stop distance so I can even see the filament hanging down and contacting the bed and it still makes the sound intermittently (as well as messes up the print). One o the prints below actually stopped printing towards the top which is why it is incomplete. It was printing from OctoPi over USB. The other short print was printing straight from the SD card via OctoPi and stopped abruptly.
These prints are Inland brand PET but the problem occurs with Inland brand PLA. I haven't tried ABS yet.
Appreciate any help possible.
shiftA.jpg
shiftA.jpg (158.51 KiB) Viewed 12100 times
shiftB.jpg
shiftB.jpg (165.97 KiB) Viewed 12100 times

insta

Re: Shifting Layers with Dual Extruder

Post by insta » Sat May 30, 2015 3:45 am

Was that me?

If so, double-check the following things:

* Lube the rails more :) Use 3-in-1 oil.

* Re-loosen both hotend clamps (with no filament), home Z, then push the nozzles down to the glass gently. Retighten the clamps firmly.

* Make sure "retraction vertical lift" in Simplify3D is set to 0.2 - 0.4mm.

* Set the acceleration in the firmware to 1200, with the manual GCODE command: M204 P1200 T1200 R9000
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat May 30, 2015 6:17 am

Rails get white lithium grease. Round Z rods get the 3-in-one.

insta

Post by insta » Sat May 30, 2015 6:55 am

jsc wrote:Rails get white lithium grease. Round Z rods get the 3-in-one.
Eh, I've started eschewing that in favor of more frequent oiling with the lighter oil. The heavier goop was trapping dust particles and plastic bits and starting to jam up my rails.

TourniquetRules

Post by TourniquetRules » Sat May 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Insta:If your first name is Brian, then yes, it was you. Multiple Prints after you left were fine. I feel like if I printed a square the size of the bed, I would have no problem. If I printed an object at the front of the bed and one at the back of the bed, I could probably reproduce it all the time. I will double check my settings, however, I feel like I have them set at what you suggest. I will try using more oil and grease. I had already adjusted the hot ends.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Sat May 30, 2015 12:44 pm

TourniquetRules wrote:the printer jumped before printing on the bed ... when it moves a great distance along the Y axis ... I have changed the z stop distance ...
Sounds like the Y axis acceleration is too high. This thread has the solution:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2293&start=10#p12381

TourniquetRules

Post by TourniquetRules » Sun May 31, 2015 12:23 pm

Thank you for your response. That was the problem. I dropped it down to 9000 and it printed correctly the first time.I went back to the profiles I had for the V3b which I downloaded from this board, it had the Y acceleration set at 9600.

insta

Post by insta » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:42 am

The Y acceleration? Or just travel speed.

Y accel of 9600 would jump the printer out of that cabinet it's in, but the travel speed between 9600 and 9000 isn't huge.

TourniquetRules

Post by TourniquetRules » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:02 am

You are correct, it is X/Y movement speed in Simplify 3D. It defaults to 18000 for the Makergear M2. I had been using a profile from ?jinc? and it was set to 9600. The acceleration is set to 800 for the Y axis in the startup G code. With the V4 hotend I had no default profile so I modified the default one. Now I modified the one I had been using and it is working just fine.