trashed v4 hot end

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
jhajduk

Re: trashed v4 hot end

Post by jhajduk » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:01 am

Looks like the exact same thing happened to me. It broke off when I tried to remove the hotend though.

I was doing a long unattended print, I was printing bluprint in this extruder at 290c, and smartabs in the other at 255C.

http://imgur.com/a/6tMjp

I opened a support ticket already.

I am wondering if it is possible to buy spares of the tube with the thread and the heatbreak?

chuck

Post by chuck » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:12 pm

jhajduk wrote:Looks like the exact same thing happened to me. It broke off when I tried to remove the hotend though.

I was doing a long unattended print, I was printing bluprint in this extruder at 290c, and smartabs in the other at 255C.

http://imgur.com/a/6tMjp

I opened a support ticket already.

I am wondering if it is possible to buy spares of the tube with the thread and the heatbreak?

This has also now happened to me, for the same reasons mentioned by Jhajduk. I was trying to get the nozzle off while the hotend was still at ca. 100 after i had a jam with PVA ($&#$^#^%).

I hardly feel like i touched it. Can someone help?

PcS

Post by PcS » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:49 pm

You can just get the barrel. Email them at support it is the cheapest way. I remove the hotend then remove insulation insert heater block into a Cresent wrench and use socket and ratchet on nozzle. If you leave it on machine you will break it ...period. It is too hard for most people to hold a backup wrench perfectly still and not apply any side force. Putting heater block in a vise would be safer yet . :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:43 am

heat breaks are always really thin in that small area. if they werent turned down to be super then then it would allow too much heat to travel upward. its super thin on my e3d as well. you just need to be really careful with it.