trashed v4 hot end

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Rhodges09

trashed v4 hot end

Post by Rhodges09 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:20 pm

I think the topic says it all, I came back from lunch with my wife to find the nozzle completely bird nested with PET+ when I cleaned it all off this is what I found. (below)

Not sure what happened exactly I was already an hour into a print before I left and it was going perfectly. There was no glass strike as the base of the print was still in tact and the nozzle was just oozing into mid air where the print should have been. Needless to say I don't think warranty covers this.

just so people do not see a mega huge image here is the imgur link http://imgur.com/Z5Av2L0

insta

Re: trashed v4 hot end

Post by insta » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:35 pm

I had that happen awhile ago ... email MG, worst that happens is they say "not under warranty" and you're here where you started.

If you're gentle you can probably bend it back into a straight enough shape. Not sure what happened to cause it to begin with though.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:46 am

yeah obviously a collision somewhere. the heatbreak is bent

Rhodges09

Post by Rhodges09 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:06 am

Just a little update:

I tried to gently bend it back into place and sadly it snapped under the grub screw where the stem meets the heat block. I swapped to my right nozzle (dual setup) and tried the print again, apparently the model I was printing or s3d or something got all messed up because watching the second print it did the same thing, started to get all gummed up. Looking at the first print it looks like the gob got so big it started to catch on other parts of the model and being so large it got stuck, and the combination of plastic and movement caused it to have a pseudo strike I guess, who knows.

Once compromised the heatbreak is very fragile being plastic and all, not upset, just wonder if the all metal v4 would have bent like that.

~Sean

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:14 am

I'm sure Rick hates that I keep linking this since it was a beta product, but ... viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1597

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:05 am

the heatbreak is the metal tube sticking out of the top of the heater block. that little turn down where is gets narrower is the actual break where it slows the heat migration upward. it keeps a sharp and short hot zone for better ooze and filament control. on another note, all pet plastic will collect on the nozzle like that. it means you dont have your settings right. when pet is printing correctly it does not do that or atleast very little. its usually a sign that your over-extruding. any amount that is over-extruded will collect on the nozzle. the more there the more it collects. other than overextrusion there is really only one other thing and that is if the infill isnt printing correctly. you can usually tell this just by looking at it. does it look like a perfect grid or does it look broken like a screen with holes in it? if this is the case then you can either lower your temp a tad and or increase you infill extrusion width a little. usually the width will be set at something like 120-140%.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:18 am

I'd better order an extra hotend. :shock:

insta

Post by insta » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:50 am

Jules wrote:I'd better order an extra hotend. :shock:
To be fair this is just good advice regardless of the hotend on your printer.

PcS

Post by PcS » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:37 pm

I have not went back yet and tested my theory. But I think my petg issues were all related to printing too fast. I ended up at 50mms and got my best ever print on an item that took 51 hrs to print !!!! I also upped z hop to .40 and retraction to 3mm . Extruder multiplier at .90 It seems petg takes a lot more force to extrude.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:41 pm

insta wrote:
Jules wrote:I'd better order an extra hotend. :shock:
To be fair this is just good advice regardless of the hotend on your printer.
Oh yeah, I know. I just forgot when I ordered the upgrade. I have extra nozzles, but not the hotend. :roll: